Meaning of "mooning calf" or calves

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Meaning of "mooning calf" or calves

Post by dhartson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:05 am

A phrase came to mind along the lines of "walking around like a mooning calf" (or calves), and I was hesitant to use it because I was not clear on the usage and meaning. I googled the phrase and came up with precious little. My sense is that it suggests a vacant, lost look, or perhaps the look of one besotted. Would someone please shed some light? Thanks.
Post actions:

Re: Meaning of "mooning calf" or calves

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Welcome dhartson.

I'm not sure whether "mooning calf" is an option, but certainly in my youth a swain would moon after the object of his love.

In other words a bloke would go all soppy when the girl he hoped would be his girlfriend was around.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Harry » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:13 pm

If your "mooning calf" was dredged from memory, it may have been confused with moon calf. Try the One Look Dictionary for a few less than flattering definitions.
Post actions:
Signature: Harry

Post by tony h » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 pm

I seem to think I rember the phrase but I wonder whether it is just a natural conjunction of: mooning; cow-eyed; doe-eyed etc

For me the phrase means helplessly in love. That sort of soft, dreamy, listless love.

The Bad Girl
By Mario Vargas Llosa 2007
"In love like a mooning calf. Head over heals in love" she repeated

Sweet and Sour
Mary Kay Remick - 1999
He then hung around me like a mooning calf whose momma's teats have gone dry.

Herbert George Wells - 1926
Here was this extinct animal mooning about mu island like a sulky duke

Stephen Longstreet - 1967
The Young Men of Paris
It's enough to turn one's stomach, no reflection on your food, dear Anna, dear Zbo, but Modi's like a mooning calf over this girl.

Christina Savage
Love's Wildest Fires 1977
Not some mooning, calf- eyed, pampered youth, but a man whose arms could be filled by nothing less than a woman
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 pm

It's probably not a corruption of mooing calf, and certainly no relation to that cow that jumped over the moon.
Post actions:

End of topic.