station

Discuss word origins and meanings.

station

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:37 pm

I was having a discussion over a glass of wine about the term "railway station" and how it is rapidly becoming "train station". Is this an Americanism? Or is the term there "railroad station"? Or even "railroad depot"? Or possibly just "rail depot"? We got absolutely nowhere, so I decided to discuss the matter with the Wizards. So I am.

I did Google of course, and didn't really get any proper answers, but I did find this quote,

"Railway stations have many designations, but "train depot" is probably the commonest in the English-speaking world. The Russian railways have the most interesting one, vokshol, which derives from an early visit to British railways and the then main London terminus at Vauxhall. The Russian word derives from this because of a misunderstanding that "Vauxhall" meant "train station"."

Can this be true or is it urban myth? You will notice that it also chucks "train depot" into the mix!
Last edited by Bobinwales on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: station

Post by trolley » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:55 pm

I don't think you'd ever hear "train depot" around here. For some strange reason, "depot" is almost exclusively used with buses. The bus depot (or station, or terminal) is the marshalling point for the buses and a "bus stop" is one of the regular pick-up points along the route. I think that railway/railroad station is still more common than train station in Canada.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:14 am

.. Bob in Aus we definitely don't use train depot for railway station.. so I don't know where your writer, Brian Robinson, Brentwood, Essex, has collected his data for this patently false statement >> "train depot" is probably the commonest in the English-speaking world. .. unless of course he has a very narrow understanding of a very difficult concept, viz english speaking world .. maybe Aus doesn't count as english speaking ?? .. and do they really speak english in Essex ?? ..

.. in Aus we have mainly train stations and formally railway stations .. we also have a very limited number of underground railway stations in Sydney (we only have 7) and Melbourne (4 I think) .. you will also find bus/rail interchange and, as in Canada we have bus depots ..

.. when you do see train depot in Aus it will refer to where trains are garaged for cleaning and repairs ..

.. BTW Bob what wine was that ?? .. a nice French chablis ?? ..

WoZ waiting for the train
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Rioja!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:50 am

.. an yes I knew her well ....... well not really well but I have swilled sipped and swallowed her ..

WoZ going to see Tate
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 am

aaa
I don’t know if this is typical of U.S. speakers, but for aboveground trains I’ve always used ‘railroad station’ or ‘train station' (never ‘railway’). For underground trains it’s been ‘train station’ or ‘subway station.’ And as for ‘train depot,’ forget it!

Ken – July 1, 2013
Post actions:

End of topic.