copious

Discuss word origins and meanings.

copious

Post by dante » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Wizards,

Hope everyone's fine and life is treating you well guys. Time for me to write a post on WW after a pause.

The etimology of words is not something I generally pay much attention to, but it struck me as odd anyway that in the etimology of the word "copious" in every of the many dictionaries online that I've checked they don't mention that the word came into usage for Copia, the Latin goddess of abundance. It is noted in Etimology dictionary and some others that the word comes from Old French or Latin, but no mention of lady Copia, although the meaning of the word has a meaning which matches her field of Godly powers.
The author mentions this fact in this book http://books.google.me/books?id=hH1Yd6k ... ce&f=false, which is named "In praise of copying", and says that the etimology of the word "copy" is related to the mentioned goddess.
Post actions:

Re: copious

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 am

.. and remember too dante that there is the Cornucopia - The Horn of Plenty .. although on looking your goddess doesn't get a mention there either ..
cornucopia (n.)
c.1500, from Late Latin cornucopia, from Latin cornu copiae "horn of plenty," originally the horn of the goat Amalthea, who nurtured the infant Zeus. See horn (n.) and copious.
.. I'll do as I am told and see copious ..
copious (adj.)
mid-14c., from Latin copiosus "plentiful," from copia "an abundance, ample supply, profusion, plenty," from com- "with" (see com-) + ops (genitive opis) "power, wealth, resources," from PIE root *op- "to work, produce in abundance" (see opus). Related: Copiously.
.. nope it's just as you say the dear old darling Copia doesn't get a mention .. maybe she upset Zeus or somebody and has been strucken from the record .. she was only a minor goddess after all ..

WoZ drinking from the cornucopia

PS .. I am aware that "strucken" is not really a word .. just playing ..
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: copious

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:12 pm

strucken with admiration at WoZ playing at Shakespeare.

Also: Cheers Dante. An interesting observation.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.