stamping grounds - champing at the bit

Discuss word origins and meanings.

stamping grounds - champing at the bit

Post by weave » Mon May 20, 2013 1:54 am

Multiple sources (Internet, dictionaries, etc) spell these idioms 'stamping ground' / 'stomping ground' and 'chomping at the bit' / 'champing at the bit'. Does anybody know the truly correct spelling for each?

I thank you.
Post actions:

Re: stamping grounds - champing at the bit

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 am

aaa
If you had done a Google search, miraculously, you would have found your answers at the very top of the list and in of all places, a dictionary! However, since you didn’t come up with this tricky solution, out of the goodness of my heart, I’ll tackle this one for you and even provide some bonus material:

STAMPING GROUND (1821) = STOMPING GROUND (1854): A customary territory or favorite gathering place. <A major part of the fun of alumni weekend is visiting the old stomping grounds.>

Etymology: Originally referred to a location frequented by animals – a place where they stamped/stomped their feet (stomp and stamp are interchangeable in the sense ‘to trample.’)

(American Heritage Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary, and Merriam-Webster.com)

CHAMPING AT THE BIT = CHOMPING AT THE BIT (17th century): Show impatience at being held back or delayed; be eager to get going, eager for action. <The dismissal bell hadn’t rung, but they were chomping at the bit to leave.>

Etymology: From the literal use with reference to a lively horse impatiently biting the bit in its mouth (champing/chomping) eager to move.

(American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms, Facts on File Dictionary of Clichés, and Chapman’s Dictionary of American Slang)

Ken G – May 19, 2013
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 am

Thonk you, Ken.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Neither stomping nor chomping are in common use in the UK. Well in my part of it anyway! Both would be considered Americanisms.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Bob's perception accords with mine.
Post actions:

Post by weave » Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 am

Thank you, Ken.
Post actions:

End of topic.