beaned, beanie, and baseball

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: Beaned and baseball

Post by PhilHunt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Bobinwales wrote:Bean means head.

I know that, although I can't prove it! I have tried a few combinations, but nothing is coming up.
It's probably because of the similar shape of a head to a bean. Very similar to 'nut' which is another slang term for head.

I can find a reference to 'bean' as a head from 1914, but it's difficult to filter out the beans from the heads when doing a search.
R. H. Andrews - 1914 -
In spite of these advices, the men of the profession who "used their beans" soon saw that "base hits" were possible with small doses, "two and three baggers" with still larger doses ...
I was also wondering if 'bean' for head came from Cockney slang, but it appears not.
In Cockney sland you've got:
baked bean/runner bean = Queen
baked beans = jeans
bean flicker = lesbian
and spoonerism "I ain't aberdeen" = "I haven't had a bean".
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Re: beaned, beanie, and baseball

Post by zmjezhd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:31 pm

I would call the Australian beanie a ski cap or tuque. Woz, are you suggesting an Australian English origin for the word beanie?
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:36 am

Phil H, If you check my first posting on the previous page under BEAN noun, meaning head, you will find OED quotes from 1908, 1910 (“'‘Bean’ is baseball for ‘head.’”), and 1914. Of course, that’s the danger of writing long-winded explanations – some things get lost in the shuffle. (>:)

Ken – September 23, 2010
Post actions:

Post by PhilHunt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Sorry Ken,
You're right. I lost that bit of information in the mix. :D
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:43 pm

zmjezhd wrote:I would call the Australian beanie a ski cap or tuque. Woz, are you suggesting an Australian English origin for the word beanie?
.. no mate .. just making the observation that if you want to see the humble beanie raised to high art then Downunder is the place to be .. and we too wear ski caps but they tend to be double knit ..

WoZ going to bottle wine tomorrow
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by barbaru » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 pm

What's the record for the closest two perfect games?
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Old bean was a form of address to one of the chaps.

Bean or bonce was always head.

and I fought it comes frm be'ng a 'uman bean like wot we all is.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by tony h » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm

and of course the Drones Club (PG Wodehouse) was divided into the Eggs, Beans and Crumpets, Members were refered to as Ols Egg,Old bean and Old Crumpet.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:59 am

.. the tradition continues .. I was recently notified that the following exhibition would be touring to Cessnock Art Gallery ..
For those who missed it the first time around, now is your chance to catch the Alice Springs Beanie Festival on a second national tour. Due to the demand for beanies, more beanies (one can never have too many) and the outstanding success of the first tour of the Alice Springs Beanie Festival exhibition "Colours of the Country" Artback NT are proud to be touring another fabulous exhibition. The beanie is an icon of Australian headwear and has been celebrated by the Alice Springs Beanie Festival since 1996.

This collection of beanies from the Alice Springs Beanie Festival demonstrates the growth of the beanie as an art form over the years and the imagination, creativity and fine craftsmanship presented in each piece. This colourful exhibition encapsulates the whimsical essence of the Beanie Festival. The collection also highlights the works produced by Indigenous artists from the Central Desert region who are regular collaborators in this cross cultural event.

Attracting contributors from around Australia and overseas, beanie makers compete in events like "Australia's Flashest Beanie." An exhibition embraced by a broad cross section of the community, the collection will inspire audiences to laugh, don crazy headwear and bring out those knitting needles all over again.
.. to see some examples .. lovin it !! ..

WoZ wearin it
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 am

So there we were today. in Joondalup, 34°C, and there was a shop selling woolly hats, brilliant I thought, only in Oz.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:34 am

tony h wrote:Old bean was a form of address to one of the chaps.
but watching Hitchcock's Marnie (1964) Sean Connery addresses Tippi Hedren as "Old Bean"
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:11 am

tony h wrote:Sean Connery addresses Tippi Hedren as "Old Bean"
Tippi call.
Post actions:

End of topic.