ABBA

Discuss word origins and meanings.

ABBA

Post by JANE DOErell » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:24 am

"Abba" appears it might be slang for a musical or entertainment style. What does it really mean? Is it politically correct? Insulting? Completely obscene? Other?
Last edited by JANE DOErell on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: abba or ABBA, Australian slang(?)

Post by russcable » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:47 am

The Swedish musical group ABBA - "Mamma Mia", "Dancing Queen", "Fernando", "Take a Chance on Me", "Ring Ring"-ing any bells yet?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: ABBA

Post by Tony Farg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:45 pm

You might also wish to know that some people regard the records produced by Abba as being trite and purely commercial. I don't subscribe to this view.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:58 pm

.. pretty simple to find in several dictionaries >>
abba: Father; religious superior; in the Syriac, Coptic, and Ethiopic churches, a title given to the bishops, and by the bishops to the patriarch.
.. or a spelling variation of aba which is a kind of sleevless outer garment worn by Arabs ..

.. and Tony I am always amused at how many people will put crap on Abba but then proceed to know all the words of the songs when they are played .. *grin* ..

WoZ the dancing queen
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Shelley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:33 pm

I believe that A-B-B-A are the first letters of the band members first names. I'm no fan, but I seem to recall that piece of trivia.

Jane DOErell, if you want to understand what ABBA might mean in terms of describing a style, go rent the movies Muriel's Wedding, and/or Mama Mia. There's a little extra feature before, after or during the credits of Mama Mia which pretty much nails the idea, warts and all.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Anni-frid (aka Frida in her solo career - "(I Know There's) Something Going On"), Bjorn, Benny, and Agnetha. For some reason, Jane edited her first post after my first reply. Her question came from watching Priscilla, Queen of the Desert so Muriel's Wedding might be an appropriate follow-up. ;-)

Bjorn and Benny with Tim Rice also wrote the musical "Chess" which wasn't a big hit, but the songs for "One Night in Bangkok" and "I Know Him So Well" did rather well as singles.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Aaaah, Agnetha! Ooooh! (although I'd never have admitted it then)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC