"turfed from office"....."

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: "turfed from office"....."

Post by tony h » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. sorry tony I have never seen or heard turf/turfed in that way ..

WoZ wondering
hope these help.

try google with:
"turfing out the cupboard"

Whatever hours a pub keeps, it will still have a closing time, signalled by a ringing of a bell, or the shout of the landlord, "Last orders!" or the more oldfashioned, "Drink up gentleman, it's time." That's your signal that you can order one more drink before being turfed out.
from: http://gouk.about.com/od/restaurantandp ... Beer_3.htm

The bikers have been turfed out but the jukebox is still pretty good. Usually empty, even on a Saturday night but at least you get on the pool table

The Inn Turfed Out! ; Pub Boots Out Bowls Club After 140 Yrs. Last night shell-shocked members of the New Inn Club vowed to fight the bombshell decision and have contacted MP Gisela Stuart

My other half and I were once turfed out of a pub where we were about to have lunch because the other half was wearing a rugby shirt.

This is a rewrite of The Rare Oul' Times (4 man play) conceit of an imaginery encounter between these two larger than life literary folk, either of which could clear customers from a bar in minutes before being turfed out themselves.

You could start a computer museum with all the old crap we've turfed out of the attic. Trip to the tip imminent!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=78qO ... CDkQ6AEwAg
Turfed out from cobwebbed attics, novels, travel books, Christmas annuals, the sermons of forgotten Victorian vicars, jostled each other in their dusty jackets
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Tony had me a bit confused as well
I decided to turf out the garage as it hadn't been cleared out for four years.
Having had a few friends over for drinks on Friday night the last of them turfed out on Tuesday morning.
I decided to turf out the typewriter ribbons.
I would not turf out the garage. I would turf out junk from the garage.
My friends would not turf out. They may be turfed out by the Boss. I have been turfed out many times!
I would indeed turf out the typewriter ribbons. (I have one as well. E-Bay here I come!)

Is your usage a Lincolnshire variation I wonder?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:21 pm

The garage could be "mucked out". I hear that one used to mean a general good cleaning. It seems to have moved beyond it's original "poop scooping" meaning.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:01 am

.. tony in your original examples >>

So: I decided to turf out the garage as it hadn't been cleared out for four years. >> you are throwing away your garage ..
Having had a few friends over for drinks on Friday night the last of them turfed out on Tuesday morning. >> your friends threw something, unidentified, out ..
I decided to turf out the typewriter ribbons. (actually I still use a typewriter) >> you are throwing out your typewriter ribbons ..

.. in your second examples I am sure Ed could tell you that turfed out is being used in the impassive or the subjective voice or some other obscure grammatical term .. but >>

That's your signal that you can order one more drink before being turfed out. >> it is you that will be turfed out ..
The bikers have been turfed out but the jukebox is still pretty good. >> the bikers have been turfed out on some undefined previous time never to return ..
You could start a computer museum with all the old crap we've turfed out of the attic. Trip to the tip imminent! >> the crap has been turfed out ..

.. then again if I was in a gang I might turf you off my turf ..

WoZ relaxing on the turf
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Your comments are interesting. And no they are not a Lincolnshire variation. They have existed in my vocabulary for rather longer than my sojurn in Lincolnshire. So I started looking at this usage

I decided to turf out the typewriter ribbons. (actually I still use a typewriter)
This seems to be normal usage.

I decided to turf out the garage as it hadn't been cleared out for four years.
Here "turf out" has the meaning of finding all the things that should be "turfed out" and then turfing them out.
Much the same way as "we are going to barbeque on saturday" is not an intent to grill oneself but an indication that one is going to gather the necessary items to carbonize some offal.

Having had a few friends over for drinks on Friday night the last of them turfed out on Tuesday morning.
Here the use of "turfed out" is an indication that the friends had overstayed and had left of their own recognition of overstaying.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by hsargent » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Do you think this came from a Rugby reference? That would work.
Post actions:
Signature: Harry Sargent

End of topic.