cunt-struck

Discuss word origins and meanings.

cunt-struck

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 am

In my sheltered life in little old Fort Collins, Colorado, at the foothills of the Rockies, where the air is clean and the water pure, this one somehow slipped by me (although, as an 1960s escapee from NYC, I thought I probably would have been familiar with it if it was an older expression).

But in spite of my unfamiliarity, it must be a ‘worthy’ word because “I read it in the OED!” There it was, ‘cunt-struck,’ under “CUNT (currency is restricted in the manner of other taboo-words): The female external genital organs,” in the hot-off-the-presses, December 11, 2008, OED additions list, under “out-of-sequence subordinate entries added,” right there along with ‘chai latte’ and ‘water-cooler.’

And when you say it fast it sounds a lot like ‘construct,’ but there is no denying that we’re talking cunt-struck, that it was chosen from among thousands of less worthy candidates to be included in this august work, that it registered ~ 2500 Google hits (not a huge number) at my coordinates, and that it is probably inappropriate for use in Sunday school classes.

Less surprisingly, it does appear in several slang dictionaries I checked (e.g. Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang, Oxford Dictionary of Slang, Partridge’s A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, and Spear’s Slang and Euphemism). More surprisingly, its been around since the 19th century (see quotes) and I’ve been around since the first half of the 20th – I guess I should have caught it. (>:)

OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY

CUNT-STRUCK adjective coarse slang: Infatuated, especially sexually, with a woman or women in general (cf. love-struck) [[see ‘cunt’ above + Standard English ‘struck’]]
<1876 “He . . . became in fact cunt-struck upon her.”—The Romance of Lust, IV. page 87>

<1879 “Changed from the gorgeous king to a buffoon, Be weak-kneed, cunt-struck, fucked-out Pantaloon.”— Harlequin Prince Cherrytop, page 29>

<1885 “He appears to have been really ‘cunt-struck,’ which, as I have before observed,
is one of the strongest infatuations that a man can have.”—Catena Librorum Tacendorum: Being Notes Bio, Biblio, Icono, Graphical And Critical, On Curious And Uncommon Books, by Pisanus Fraxi by Henry S. Ashbee, page 186>

<1891 “CUNT-STRUCK, adjective (vulgar) — Enamored of women: who may, in turn, be either cock-smitten or prick-struck.”—Slang and Its Analogues Past and Present by J. S. Farmer, page 230>

<1940 “It is more interesting, perhaps, when alliteration creeps in: ‘Fashioned and fed by the cunt-struck cravings.’”—British Book News: A Guide to Books Published in the Commonwealth and Empire‎ by British Council, National Book League (Great Britain), page 231>

<1961 “I do not agree, for instance, that he is a philosopher, or a thinker. He is cunt-struck, that’s all.”—Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller, page 4>

<1965 “We were all helplessly and hopelessly c. . . struck, a vulgar but forcibly accurate expression.”—Frank Sargeson>

<1975 “Were we to end our lives as cunt-struck doddering wooers left over from a Goldoni farce?”—Humboldt’s Gift by Saul Bellow, page 204>

<1992 “If a man seems interested in nothing but woman-chasing he is described as cagey, cock crazy, cunt-struck, fleshy, hard-peckered, horny, peach-orchard crazy, pruney, pussy simple, red-eyed, rollicky, satchel-crazy, twat-foolish, or twitchet-struck. [‘rollicky’ refers to the testicles or bollocks, as in the bawdy song ‘Bollocky Bill the Sailor.’]”—Blow the Candle Out: ‘Unprintable’ Ozark Folksongs and Folklore by Randolph &Legman, page 791>

<2003 “On the one hand, I was too inhibited; on the other, I was already terminally cunt-struck.”—London Review of Books, 21 August, page 6/2>

<2005 “. . . well aware that he had gone native and behaved no better than an unlettered seaman, becoming, in the seaman’s nasty but apt phrase, ‘cunt-struck.’”—A Brief History of Mutiny by R. Woodman, page 90>

<2006 “That's the British commander in chief for you, Captain — a cunt-struck buffoon
in gold braid epaulets!”—Valley Forge: A Novel of the American Revolution by D. Garland, page 133>
(quotes from Oxford English Dictionary and archived sources)

A possible reason that I am unfamiliar with this expression, and one which the OED failed to mention, is that it appears to be mainly British slang:

SLANG AND EUPHEMISM (3rd edition) by Richard A. Spears

CUNT-STRUCK 1) Utterly fascinated with the sexual possibilities of a specific woman. 2) Sexually fascinated with all woman. Cf. cock-happy [both senses, British slang, 1700s-present].

Ken G – December 22, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: cunt-struck

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:12 am

Do you know Ken, I had never heard the expression before. And quite honestly if I had lived out my life without having come across it at all I would not have missed the experience one iota.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 am

Me too.
Nadolig Llawen pob un.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Bob and Tony, Hmm! Well if you guys have never heard it either, evidently, not the most popular or thrilling expression, but I guess the OED feels like they want to cover them all – not let anything fall through the cracks, so to speak.

Ken – December 23, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Ho ho ho ho!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JANE DOErell » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:22 pm

I've remember having heard it but cannot remember where. I'm guessing it was used as a feminists put-down of some men in Phoenix in the '60s-70s but this is wild speculation. I knew men there who were cunt-struck and women who would have pointed this out to anyone who would listen.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by p. g. cox » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:58 pm

Folks, probably the most famous/infamous application of this expression appears in the Ballad of Eskimo Nell, stanza #28.
It was Eskimo Nell who broke the spell
in accents calm and cool:
"You cunt-struck shrimp of a Yankee pimp,
do you call that thing a tool?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Pete.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:51 am

Pete, Now that's what I call an interesting cuntstrucktion!

Ken – December 23, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:06 am

This hole thing has been miscunt-strewed (strewn?)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:58 pm

.. the word is used Downunder and a quick google showed that it is sill in use ..
August 1 2006.
That might be just my interpretation, but when a mate was cuntstruck we never saw him again unless it was for respite from chaffing. But yes, under the thumb is the lame cousin to cunt struck, 'lost in the pink triangle' is the friendlier verbage, and CUNT STRUCK is part derogatory but mostly an orsum consequence of having a new girlfriend. Somers, if you don't understand it, I suspect you're lost in your own pink 'ozzie ostrich' triangle.

i agree with you and like under the thumb, pussy-whipped suggests oppression and weakness, whereas cuntstruck suggests drunk on sex in a strong way. my spouse, fr'instance, was cunt-struck for years, but never pussy-whipped. (Source: supersecret.messandnoise.com/discussions/123876 - 43k )
(Note: At this site there is also an interesting discussion of the feminine prefix cu and its appearance in a whole range of words.)

that may have been the context, lockingplier, but i think the australian cricket team are just a bunch of pants men. my interpretation of a mad rooter is a pants man or a skirt chaser. and i reckon that if you are a mad rooter or a skirt chaser then you are getting your end in all over the shop. my interpretation of 'cunt struck' is someone who has got their end in a particularly potent one. (Source: supersecret.messandnoise.com)

Gig Reviews by disasterplan, 3rd October, 2007
Their sound is still fresh and interesting but while tracks like Killer Pink, Pretty Boys and closing number Cuntstruck may have converted a few new fans, their set won’t have stood out to anyone who had seen them before. (Source: fasterlouder.com.au)

The Lovesick Man (22 June 2008)
“I'm lovesick. I'm sick of love. All I do is trudge through the world and love everything and I'm sick of it.”
That's a love man walking, going around loving the bunions of underground junkies and hating that he loves it. His head is full of love, cuntstruck jingles and ways to kill himself — ways that he wishes he could use if he didn't love himself so much. (Source: The Daily Dump)

Oct 08, 2008
As for Thomson, is a great young player, (better than Marlon Motlop!) yet chocco lets him go. If you look back through the list this isnt the 1st quality youngster we have let go. Guerra - still playing, Eagleton - still playing, Lonergan - still playing, Dew - fat & cuntstruck but still playing, to name a few. (Source: Australian Football League TRADE WEEK at http://www.footballnews.com.au)
.. and just for a different slant ..
I’ve been reading about Vagina Dentata for too long now, and cannot help but view my girlfriend with a newfound suspicion. I know it’s not fair on her, but it doesn’t help that I have also seen a picture of a vagina with teeth, which I’m sure was doctored, but which has nonetheless given me a whole new meaning to the term ‘cuntstruck’. (Source: GayNT)
.. and sorry Bob but I have used the expression but it never made me feel squeamish ..

WoZ
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC