death ride

Discuss word origins and meanings.

death ride

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:10 pm

.. the following quote was widely reported in the Aus and Kiwi media ..
A poll released Wednesday by The Press in Canterbury showed only 52 percent want the All Blacks to win. Former Wallabies great Nick Farr-Jones is amazed at the depth of ill-feeling in New Zealand towards Henry.

"I've never seen anything like that, to the extent that there's quite a few people, in a bar over a beer, will tell you that they death ride the All Blacks which I never thought I'd hear in my day, that New Zealanders could actually death ride their team and hope they lose," Farr-Jones said.
.. Nick Farr-Jones is an Aussie merchant banker who has lived and worked in France and England .. now it is possible to gain the meaning of death ride in this context but I have not been able to find any other examples of the usage ..

.. anybody seen it before or know from whence it came ??? ..

Curious WoZ in Aus 23/07/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: death ride

Post by Tony Farg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:34 pm

could it be an eggcorn?
from deride?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JANE DOErell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 pm

From an Australian blog:
A true footballing country without the evil press to death ride our greatest footballer for the last 20 years.
http://blogs.smh.com.au/sport/archives/ ... e#comments
Or, from the same site:
I've wondered what has motivated Henry to death-ride the Kingaroy Kid for so long (no, it's not a recent phenomenon), and here's my theory...
http://blogs.smh.com.au/sport/archives/ ... e#comments
Or from another Australian site:
SAILOR knows there will be many willing to death-ride his return. It's been seven years since Sailor played top-level league.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 51,00.html
And another:
That's what you get when you support the Club blindly when others choose to death ride
http://bulldogs.rleague.com/debate.php? ... &year=2008
Notice anything in common about the perpetrators?

That was all I could find, with the earliest being the second one (March 2007).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:31 am

Wiz and Phil, I found 4 instances (2 on the same subject and on the same day - see Wiz quote above) of the use of DEATH RIDE by AAP News (Australia) [[Australian Associated Press]]. So it looks like it’s a bona fide Australian sports expression. From the quotes below and above, it seems that the expression might have the following meaning:

DEATH RIDE: To badmouth or root against someone or something (a team) and hope/wish they (it) fail (fails).

As far as the origin goes, it’s hard to say. It might derive from the idea of a ‘ride to death,’ where DEATH signifies defeat/failure and the phrase is turned into a verb. Incidentally, the slang expression take for a ride means to abduct and murder. It’s also conceivable that the ‘ride’ here is from the ‘nouned’ verb RIDE, meaning “to ridicule or harass persistently”: The boys keep riding him about his poor grades.
<2003 “. . . as South African supporters DEATH-RIDE the defending World Cup champions [[Australia]] over the next two months.”—AAP Sports News (Australia), Highlights of the AAP Sports Wire, 7 February>

<2007 “AFL: We didn't DEATH-RIDE Roos over coffee, say AFL and Gale: The A-F-L and players' union boss Brendon Gale have denied allegations of a cafe conversation in which league chief Andrew Demetriou is claimed to have said the Kangaroos would be dead within six months.”—AAP Sports News (Australia), 18 December> [[saying they would be dead in six months is badmouthing the team’s ability but it doesn’t seem here that that necessarily means they were rooting for its failure??]]

<2008 “SYDNEY - Wallabies legend Nick Farr-Jones has heightened pressure on embattled All Blacks coach Graham Henry with his prediction that disgruntled New Zealand fans will ‘DEATH RIDE’ their national team in Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup blockbuster in Sydney.”— AAP Sports News (Australia), Highlights of the AAP Sports Wire, 21 July>

<2008 “SYDNEY - RU: New Zealand fans set to ‘DEATH RIDE’ All Blacks: Farr-Jones: Wallabies legend Nick Farr-Jones has heightened pressure on embattled All Blacks coach Graham Henry with his prediction that disgruntled New Zealand fans will ‘DEATH RIDE’ their national team in Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup blockbuster in Sydney. . . . Farr-Jones said . . . ‘I never thought that I'd hear in my day that New Zealanders could actually DEATH RIDE, they could hope that their team loses because they're well aware that Henry's on a two-year contract (and) they want to see him go.’”— AAP Sports News (Australia), 21 July> [[if there was a comma between the words ‘loses’ and ‘because,’ this would be a definition, but without it, it's not quite]]
Ken – July 23, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:35 pm

Ken Greenwald wrote: . . . It’s also conceivable that the ‘ride’ here is from the ‘nouned’ verb RIDE, meaning “to ridicule or harass persistently”: The boys keep riding him about his poor grades.
I think this is the intent of death-ride, but I've always taken "ride" in this sense as no different than that of riding a horse: on someone's back, weighing them down, mentally whipping them over whatever . . . I don't really see it as a "nouned" verb: it's just a verb with a discription, like "keel-haul". I realize I'm not making myself very clear, but I'm out of practise . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Shelley, I see what you’re saying. But I would say the noun ride [a ‘ride’ on a horse, etc. (circa 1700s)] ultimately derives from the verb ride [to ‘ride’ a horse, etc. (circa 1000)]. And the verb ‘ride’ meaning to harass (late 1500s), derives from the earlier verb ‘ride.’ It seems to me that in the derivation of DEATH RIDE, the question is, which RIDE was being referred to when the expression was coined. If the coiner was thinking in terms of the noun RIDE as in JOY RIDE, that’s one possibility. However, if the coiner had in mind the verb RIDE, meaning to ridicule/ harass, then I would say that in the phrase the verb has been ‘nouned.’

Ken – July 24, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Except that in all the cases above, death ride is being used as a verb -- not a noun -- so I don't understand why you are calling the phrase "nouned". I don't mean to be riding a dead horse . . . no need to respond -- I just couldn't resist beating the metaphor into the ground ;^)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:30 am

.. Ken and Phil I must've been in an google dead-zone to not be able to find those extra quotes .. oh well .. thanks for doing the work for me .. for me I don't mind who is death riding whom just so long as the Wallabies kick some All Black butt on Saturday night .. speaking of which I had better log-off and get some cans of Bundy and get in front of the plasma .. and my loving son just HAD to ring his dear old dad and let him know that he had just got on the bus to go to the game and he was in a corporate box courtesy of one of his mates .. the big shame of that is that it is ALL free and he doesn't drink .. hmmmmm wonder if he could slip a few in his pocket to bring home to dad ....

Wallaby WoZ drinking Bundy 26/07/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:45 pm

.. well we can't have a hanging thread so simply for completeness I wish to advise all WWs that the Wallabies did indeed account for those pretenders from across the ditch to the tune of 39 to 14 .. now I not boasting or anything in posting this but merely aiming for closure .. just like the ABs got last night .. hee hee hee ....

WoZ in Aus 27/07/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Don't crow too much WoZ. We have the Autumn Internationals coming, and the men in red will ride again.

And you will be an old married man by then as well!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:55 pm

.. too true Bob me mate .. Italy, the Poms, France and then the Scarlets .. a decent sort of warm-up before taking on your boys .. *wink* .. but first we have a more serious matter of accounting for the ABs and the Boks .. then with the Bledisloe and the Tri-Nations under our arms we will head over to your patch .. I'm tired just thinking about it ..

Wallaby WoZ 27/07/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC