They got their cookies that way, ...

Discuss word origins and meanings.

They got their cookies that way, ...

Post by JerrySmile » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Does anyone recognize the bolded as a known idiom?
----
[As to the freedom of choice of the individual, definitely not about cookies as such.]

Who was he to argue? They got their cookies that way, what business of his was it?

Bomber's Law, by George V. Higgins, p. 74
-------

Thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: They got their cookies that way, ...

Post by PhilHunt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:11 pm

I can only find two instances of "get/got their cookies" on the web being used as an idiom. One has a sexual meaning:
At one time, it was a "given" that women didn't like sex. Good women anyway. The kind you married. At least in polite society. And while we all know there were women who liked it anyway, in some instances it was true that women didn't like sex. Because I'm not sure men made sure they got their cookies too.
The other is:
These fantasyland denisons do not respond to reason, and get their
cookies by getting your attention. They neither have trousers nor
anything to hang therein.
In both instances I am not convinced that the writer is using a popular idiom but rather a variation on "get their kicks" which means to get your enjoyment from something.

The most used use of "get your cookies" is the plain old "receive your cookies" as in "thanks for the birthday treat, I got your cookies in the mail yesterday".
The other use of "get your cookies" is computer talk. Hackers get your cookies using Trojan horses.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:43 pm

As "cookies" in the munching sense is an American word, we call 'em biscuits, I feel your answer will come from there rather than here.

ps For reasons completely beyond my ken, a biscuit with bits of chocolate baked into it, is called a chocolate chip cookie, or otherwise, a Maryland cookie.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by russcable » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:50 pm

It would seem to be a snowclone-like variation of "get your kicks" or "get your jollies", but I haven't heard it before.

Bob, I'd never heard of a Maryland cookie before. Googling, it seems to be a UK brand name. They are sometimes called tollhouse cookies due to the recipe printed on the Nestle chocolate chip package.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JerrySmile » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:00 pm

PhilHunt wrote: In both instances I am not convinced that the writer is using a popular idiom but rather a variation on "get their kicks" which means to get your enjoyment from something.
Seems a good point to me.

Thank you all.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Jerry, Sounds like Phil and Russ have it about right.

There is a long and short form I am familiar with, both of which I’m guessing I first heard around the time of my undergraduate days in college (1959-63). GET ONE’S COOKIES OFF, the long form, and GET ONE’S COOKIES, the short, literally meant ejaculate, have an orgasm, the ‘cookies’ being the testicles. But most of the time I heard it then and over the years, it was being used figuratively with COOKIES being something that one really liked; so, both of the versions, as mentioned, meant ‘getting your kicks/jollies,’ doing something one finds very stimulating and pleasurable: Joe really gets his cookies (off) on a good game of chess. And it was also my impression that the expression GET OFF (On), which means the same thing, was just a further shortened forms of GET ONE’S COOKIES (OFF) (Joe really gets off on a good game of chess), but I haven’t found any conformation for this.

CASSELL’S DICTIONARY OF SLANG

GET ONE’S COOKIES: verb [1960s and still in use]: 1) To have sexual intercourse; thus get one’s cookies off, to come to orgasm. 2) In figurative use, to enjoy oneself. [see ‘cookies’ (1) noun]

COOKIES noun [1960s and still in use] (U.S. Black): 1) Any form of desired object, especially sex or money. 2) emotions, feelings. 3) the male or female genitalia.

HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN SLANG

GET (ONE’S) COOKIES (OFF): To experience orgasm; (hence) to experience intense pleasure, especially in a perverse way.
<circa 1952-1956 “If we want our COOKIES OFF,/We call up SDT’s.”—Field Collection by Reuss, page 101>

<1966 “Let’s castrate the ol’ bastard . . . Fix him so he can’t GET HIS COOKIES.”—The Riot by Elli, page 72>

<1966 “He wouldn’t let my generals GET THEIR COOKIES, he was carryin’ on so.”—Pall-Bearers by I. Reed, page 130>

<1968-70 “GET . . . COOKIES OFF verb. To reach a sexual climax.—high school males Ohio.”—Current Slang, III & IV, page 54>

<1971 “If you want to GET YOUR COOKIES, I got three girls up here who can do more tricks than a monkey on a hundred yards of grapevine.”—Mc Cabe & Mrs. Miller (film) by Altman & McCay>

<1972 “This how you GET YOUR COOKIES, Father? Asking people [about their sex lives].”—in Playboy (January 1973), page 250>

<1972 “They GET THEIR COOKIES doing it. They have gotten fat and sassy and rich from doing it . . .”—What Black Politicians are Saying by Nathan Wright, page 140>

<1973 “Are all your wives in the hospital, or is this how you GET YOUR COOKIES?”—Shaft (CBS-TV)>

<1983 “Ever since they took control over Middle East operations of CIA, they seemed to GET THEIR COOKIES by pointing out every little boo-boo.”—Shibumi by Trevanian, page 3>

<1992 “Do they GET THEIR COOKIES OFF when you’re beating them?”—Donahue (NBC-TV>

<2002 “There are also police officers that you want you want little, if anything, to do with . . . the loudmouths, . . . the bigots . . . the slobs and yes, even those who appear to GET THEIR COOKIES OFF by pushing people around . . .”—The Death of a Criminal Justice System by Daryl LaDon, page 173>

<2006 “This one particular deputy GOT HIS COOKIES OFF trying to make me sick.”—Rising Up from the Dirt By L.L.C., Re al Bull Oney, page 24> [[that is the given author]]
(quotes from Historical Dictionary of American Slang and archived sources)

Ken –September 26, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JerrySmile » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Much appreciated, Ken.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC