Cute

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Cute

Post by John Barton » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:47 am

"Cute" seems to be used these days as if it were a distinct word from "acute". Is the spelling 'cute now pedantic, as even 'phone and 'bus appear to be becoming?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: John Barton, New Plymouth, New Zealand
http://www.freewebs.com/caliban5/

Re: Cute

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:50 am

"Cute", around these parts generally means attractive in a warm fuzzy gotta-hug-it baby-kitten-puppy way.
Also it is used sacrastically, as in, that was a cute trick, meaning you pulled off that act with deceptively simple-looking dexterity.
We never use it as a short-form for acute.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:06 pm

John, although it is true that 'cute' arose as an abbreviated form of 'acute' in circa 1731 (according to m-w.com), you are unique in my experience in apparently still sensing the force of the connection. This is hardly surprising, as none of the current senses of 'cute' and 'acute' overlap.

FWIW I have never before seen it spelled as 'cute, so I would certainly regard any instance of this spelling as being pedantic in the extreme.

The spellings 'bus and 'phone are not merely 'becoming pedantic', they are obsolete in current standard usage.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dalehileman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:05 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:10 pm

And if we're being pedantic, shouldn't it be ''''phone and ''''bus?

I got out of my mini'''''-''''van, picked up my cell'''' ''''phone, put on a napron, , and got a norange juice out of the ''frig''''''. How fun!!!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:04 pm

russ, I think your phone's ringin'. Did you mean to write: I got out of my miniskirt-Ivan, picked up my celluloid Persephone, put on an apron, and got an orange juice out of the ''friggin icebox".
Or did Shultz's Thunderbird get loose in your post?
You've gone apostrophlectic.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I'''ll ignore M''''r. Ja''s. since I can''t come up with a suitably shortened or lengthened substitute for killjoy or partypooper. Perhaps he should stick (in the mud) to watching t'''v''''' instead of the '''''net. (^_^)

Hmm, Mr., Jas., T.V. ...??? Perhaps instead... I got out of my mini.van., picked up my cell. phone., put on a napron, and got a norange juice out of the frig..?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Russ: don't you suspect he might just have been taking the p'ss and joining in your fun?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 am

So, Tony, you old booze hound! Are you having a seizure?

Accusations of drunkeness and apoplexy are fun!!!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:57 pm

russcable wrote: Hmm, Mr., Jas., T.V. ...??? Perhaps instead... I got out of my mini.van., picked up my cell. phone., put on a napron, and got a norange juice out of the frig..?
What's a norange juice...or a napron for that matter?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by JANE DOErell » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:05 pm

What's a norange juice...or a napron for that matter?
Looks for all the world like a dirty keyboard i.e. an orange juice, an apron, perhaps?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:06 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 pm

Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't translate well in html.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Tony Farg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:10 pm

that's really odd, because users browsing this forum at present does not include Phil, yet he has just posted. How come?
edit: now it does. Weird.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm a ghost in the machine. Woooohhhhh!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS