Limey

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: Limey

Post by Garanhir » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Diolch i chi, Bob -- I'm afraid that's about the extent of my command of the 'hen iaith', except for a few other everyday pleasantries, basic shopping and weather. I love hearing it, though, and can often catch the gist without being quick enough to join in.

Yes, Tony, Garanhir translates as 'tall heron' -- I am, as Bob suspects, of tall stature, and thin, as is the heron. In another life I was an initiated priest of the Wicca, and it was customary at that time to adopt a totem animal - a spirit parallel from the wilder world, if you will - a representation of an inner personality unencumbered by the cleverness of the human world. I chose the heron (or it chose me) for various habitual similarities, as well as the physical, and for it's links to ancient British mythology.

I doubt this is quite a proper way to continue in a thread about 'limey' - so I'll leave it at that for now!

Thanks for the welcome and the interest, I'll see y'all around. I'm not an everyday web user, but I'll stop by when I can; it all looks endlessly interesting.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "And what is the use of a book" thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
- Lewis Carroll

Re: Limey

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Orangemen would probably not welcome the appellation.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC