Post by JerrySmile » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:40 pm

suspicious as a crow

Bona fide idiom?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by dalehileman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:44 pm

It gets only 4 Ghits

http://tinyurl.com/2uadb9

...although if one were to reword it with *'s in the proper spots one might elicit other similar expressions in greater quantity
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by PhilHunt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Personally I've never heard of it, and I only get 3 hits on google for this particular phrase.
My guess is it's not a bona fide idiom.
I also can't find it in my Oxford book of idioms.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Suspicious as a crow

Post by dalehileman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:47 pm

I have often speculated, PhilH, that if one were really adept at the use of * and other such tricks he might be able to elicit much larger numbers of pertinent Ghits

But Jerry do go to Advanced Search, Advanced Search Tips, which although somewhat sketchy might help in your quest
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by Shelley » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:38 pm

If one's circle is a "murder of crows", it pays to be suspicious. That's all I can figure out.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by Tony Farg » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:12 pm

If instead of including s's one excluded r's, then there's a kind of logic, I think.
Cows round 'ere are inordinately curious, not to say suspicious.
Was this any help?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Crows are inquisitive and drawn to sparkly trinkets, which they are known to collect.
Also, I have watched a murder of crows harass an owl, their mortal enemy, for it attacks them at night as they roost helplessly blind, for hours during the day, diving and cawwing at the owl, and chasing it from treetop to treetop.
But suspicious? There are no crows in Slinky Malinky books are there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:47 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote: Crows are inquisitive and drawn to sparkly trinkets, which they are known to collect.
I thought it the magpie that did the thieving. As did Rossini. They are a type of crow I grant you, but then the whale is related to the hippopotamus.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Suspicious as a crow

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:13 pm

And Barack Obama is related to Dick Cheney, but somehow I doubt they are cousins of the kissing variety.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Suspicious as a crow

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:07 pm

Bob, it's crows.

I thought Rossini's works original, for the most-part.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:51 am

Jim, We ought to check with the animal psychologist folks who came up with the crow vending machine to see if they could devise an experiment to test for suspiciousness in crows. Sounds to me like a project worthy of public funding.

Ken – January 10, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 pm

That's your caw.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by PhilHunt » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:15 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote: Crows are inquisitive and drawn to sparkly trinkets, which they are known to collect.
Also, I have watched a murder of crows harass an owl, their mortal enemy, for it attacks them at night as they roost helplessly blind, for hours during the day, diving and cawwing at the owl, and chasing it from treetop to treetop.
But suspicious? There are no crows in Slinky Malinky books are there?
Magpies are the ones attracted to glittering objects and are known to steal them for their nests. Crows have a long history in mythological symbolism but I found an interesting quote by someone at the following link:
http://baabmallya.sulekha.com/blog/post ... mments.htm

“A ‘murder’ of crows is based on the persistent but fallacious folk tale that crows form tribunals to judge and punish the bad behavior of a member of the flock. If the verdict goes against the defendant, that bird is killed (murdered) by the flock. The basis in fact is probably that occasionally crows will kill a dying crow who doesn’t belong in their territory or much more commonly feed on carcasses of dead crows. Also, both crows and ravens are associated with battlefields, medieval hospitals, execution sites and cemeteries (because they scavenged on human remains). In England, a tombstone is sometimes called a ravenstone.”
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Suspicious as a crow

Post by Tony Farg » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Is it PC to refer to Jim Crow, Jim?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Suspicious as a crow

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Nevermore. Really, you're asking me about PC? I don't give a hoot.
and this from PhilHunt's link:

Dr Mallya,

Crows are complete smart cookies. They are suspicious(my red) by nature & its not easy to capture one. They seldom trust people. There are a few I have befriended who caw away every morning instructing me what they want (bread, meat, egg) & what they dont (roti's). These guys are spoilt dirty & refuse to budge till their craving for a particular food is satiated. And the rascals have preferences too.

If its minced meat, fish or eggs...they shall accept the booty from my hands. For others...I just have to stack it on the grill for them to eye the food cantankerous & then decide in a zillion years if they are in the mood for this kind of a step brotherly treatment I'm meting to them on that particular day.

Bunty.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS