spoilt and conked out

Discuss word origins and meanings.

spoilt and conked out

Post by kins_turn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:26 pm

Do verbs spoil and conk out collocate with eletrical appliances and machine?
For example,
1. The toaster is spoilt/conked out.
2. the computer conked out.
3. the car engine is spoilt.

What about 'busted'??
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: kins_turn

spoilt and conked out

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:52 pm

The toaster is broken/ has burned [or conked] out.
The car engine has broken down/ blown up/ seized up.

I would be unlikely to use 'busted' with 3.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

spoilt and conked out

Post by russcable » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:18 pm

When something conks out, it has merely stopped working and may be fixable. Something that is spoiled has been ruined permanently. A flooded car engine could be considered conked out, but if you wait a few minutes, it will start again. I would generally not apply spoiled to mechanical things, but to food or other things that go bad over time, surprises, ...

Bust has some more specific meanings which are always correct, but some people think it sounds uneducated when bust/busted is consistently substituted for the more general break/broke/broken especially when the more specific meanings do not apply. Of course, conk out is also colloquial, but it isn't looked down upon in the same way.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spoilt and conked out

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:45 pm

As Paul Lynde used to say, "It's rue-wind!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spoilt and conked out

Post by JANE DOErell » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:46 pm

In parts of the US one very popular informal usage of "busted" is its meaning 'Bankrupt or out of cash or funds'

In informal conversation if an automobile engine froze and the block cracked i.e. breaks open or apart suddenly and forcefully, we might occasionally say it "busted" but I don't think we would use "busted" to simply mean failed to function.

As russcable noted, I would ordinarly not appply "spoiled" to mechanical things.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spoilt and conked out

Post by tony h » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:03 pm

And I wouldn't use "concked out" other than for something mechanical. Thinking about it I suspect I only use it in relation to an engine powered device that is not running.
- cars, petrol lawn mowers, motorcycles : all conk out
- electric drill, electric lawn mower, food mixed : don't

Conk out also seems to be an observation not a diagnosis. eg "it conked out just as I got to the gate. I guess it is out of fuel."

I would describe conked out as meaning : the engine has stopped (for a reason which has not yet been diagnosed."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

spoilt and conked out

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:18 pm

It happens with people too. I often manage to conk out before the job is finished. It pleases my boss no end!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

spoilt and conked out

Post by Shelley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 pm

The human being is a machine.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spoilt and conked out

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:44 pm

Shelley, you've gone and spoilt yourself watching all those Heineken commercials.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spoilt and conked out

Post by Shelley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Very funny, gd, but sorry -- I don't know anything about Heineken commercials. I thought I was paraphrasing Mark Twain from his book, "Letters from the Earth":

The human being is a machine composed of thousands of complex and delicate mechanisms which perform their function harmoniously and perfectly, in accordance with the law, and over which the man himself has no authority, mastership or control.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spoilt and conked out

Post by tony h » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:32 am

which perform their function harmoniously and perfectl
unless fed with curry and lager
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC