4x4

Discuss word origins and meanings.

4x4

Post by dalehileman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:49 pm

A differential between the two back wheels
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

4x4

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:51 pm

There is a differential. I am not an engineer, but I understand that it was one of those things that they got right the first time. The tricycle dif has hardly changed since the early days of cycling. You will find some photographs here. I tell you what, they ain't cheap!

I have to say that I had forgotten about the children's machines with the pedals attached to the front wheel.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

4x4

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:34 pm

Harry: 4x4 lumber is 100x100 when you are metric,and still comes smaller when planed, but it seems that in the building trade here nearly everyone uses both systems completely interchangeably. I believe that is why there was a problem with one of the early moon shots (or was it Hubble?).
My kids, however, were taught in metric at school, and have no idea what I mean if I talk about 18 inches or whatever.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

4x4

Post by trolley » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:55 pm

We converted to metric 30 years ago (after having the Imperial system drilled into my head for many years) I still struggle with it and have to do math everytime I use it. If it's 32 degrees C outside I know it's somewhere between hot and pretty damned hot. Until I convert that in my head to Fairenheit, it really doen't mean much. The construction industry seems to be immune to the metric thing. It always will be a 2x4 or a 2x6 or a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply. America...hold out! If you give them an inch, they'll take 2.54 cm.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

4x4

Post by dalehileman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Bob: Thank you for that link. I searched the link for "differential" and didn't find it; so I assume the "hub gear" must include one

I have to say that if in fact I had ever seen one I had forgotten about the adult's machines with the pedals attached to the rear wheels
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

4x4

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Trolley, they'll give only 2cm to the inch, just watch. They'll take 3.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

4x4

Post by tony h » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm

As a triker can can state that all the (serious) trikes (pedal powered) are driven from a single back wheel. The leads to some interesting body configurations and behaviours when cornering to the opposite side of the driven wheel.

http://www.pashley.co.uk/lists/tricycles.html
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

4x4

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:04 pm

My research has revealed a variety of tricycle designs. Trikes for young children appear mostly to be powered by pedals attached directly to the front wheel. Tricycles for older children and adults can deliver power to one rear wheel or both, depending on the design; when both rear wheels are powered, they may or may not be connected to each other via a differential. The more expensive the vehicle, the more likely it is to be fitted with a diff.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

4x4

Post by mongrowl » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:56 pm

I have to say that if in fact I had ever seen one I had forgotten about the adult's machines with the pedals attached to the rear wheels
Dale,
I think we both knew the Humphreymobile was the standard Adult Trike.
lneil
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All we can do is the Best we can do.

4x4

Post by Phil White » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:07 pm

That is so unashamedly awful, I think I want it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

4x4

Post by dalehileman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Phil indeed it is. Mon, the fat guy must be an immensely strong fellow as he appears to be pedalling its front wheel with no intervening gears
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

4x4

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:13 pm

dalehileman wrote: Phil indeed it is. Mon, the fat guy must be an immensely strong fellow as he appears to be pedalling its front wheel with no intervening gears
He's got snow chains on as well.

Louis, keep an eye on it and tell us how much it gets sold for eventually. It really is positively dreadful.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC