@

Discuss word origins and meanings.

@

Post by MamaPapa » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:35 pm

Anyone know the origin of the name of the Hotel Amfora in Hvar, Croatia? I had assumed the "clay jar" origin in keeping with the Roman Empire roots; however, the "herring wrapped around a pickle" is just too tempting to miss! May be no relation to amphora...but they could save money on signage if they adopted the @ to use on their hotel.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Mama

@

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:25 pm

Stay @ Inn
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

@

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Originally posted by Berale: "Now why didn't I think of that..."
Because you haven't had the benefit of an Australian education.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

@

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:07 pm

MamaPapa wrote: Anyone know the origin of the name of the Hotel Amfora in Hvar, Croatia?
Margaret and I stayed at the Hotel Adriatic last year which is next door to the Amfora, and I am afraid it is the "clay jar" origin.

The day we arrived in Hvar was the wettest they had had since 1872, small boats sank in the harbour because of the rain water they collected. Margaret will advise you never to go on holiday with a Welshman, we attract rain like magnets to iron filings.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

@

Post by sgcltd » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:00 pm

Hi first foray into this particular world.

FYI the use of @ in the internet world came from a document wrote by one of the original hippy geeks, Jonathon Postel, in a document describing how we may use mail over a network.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0821.txt

Great guy, great intelligence, big beard ;-)

http://www.postel.org/postel.html
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Thanks,
Simon

@

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:16 pm

big beard ;-)}}}
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

@

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:45 am

.. I am currently reading a quirky little book, Quirky QWERTY: the story of the keyboard @ your fingertips. by Torbjörn Lundmark, (UNSW Press, 2002, ISBN 0 86840 436 5.) .. Lundmark covers much the same ground as above but adds some more details and one entry challenges the entry by Simon just above ..

.. in his book Lundmark considers the evolution of the English alphabet as it appears on the keyboard .. he has the following to say on the evolution of @ ..
Typographic historians differ in their opinions about the origin of this little character. Some say that it is short for the Latin word ad, which means ‘at’ or ‘towards’, and that the curl is the upstroke of the d embracing the a.

Others claim that the sign is short for ana, which means ‘in equal quantity’ in medieval Latin, derived from the Greek meaning ‘of every one similarly’, and is still used in medicine and pharmaceutics, often expressed through the abbreviation, ((diagram showing two letters /a/ with macron accents, ¯,)).
.. the challenge to Simon’s entry, above, comes in that Lundmark’s research tells us that even though the @ symbol appeared on keyboards in the late 1800s it really came into its own when Ray Tomlinson, a computer pioneer, decided in 1971 to use the @ in sending emails to divide the correct server from the relevant addressee .. here is what Tomlinson had to say when asked why he chose the @ symbol ..
The primary reason was that it made sense. at signs didn't appear in names so there would be no ambiguity about where the separation between login name and host name occurred. (Of course, this last notion is now refuted by the proliferation of products, services, slogans, etc. incorporating the at sign.) The at sign also had no significance in any editors that ran on TENEX. I was later reminded that the Multics time-sharing system used the at sign as its line-erase character. This caused a fair amount of grief in that community of users.
Source
.. this appears to show that it was Tomlinson and not Postel who originated the idea of using @ in email addresses ..

.. so from relative obscurity with minimal usage the @ symbol is now arguably one of the most used and recognised symbols across all alphabets in the world ..

WoZ of Aus 09/02/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC