blind men on galloping horses

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: blind men on galloping horses

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 pm

trolley wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:05 pm
Somehow, I keep thinking about those "poor starving kids in China" that I always had to hear about when ever I complained about having to eat creamed corn, or brussell sprouts or liver and onions.
That reminds me of when I was about 8 and flicking salt from a salt cellar while waiting in the queue for school dinner. The headmaster spotted me doing it and guilted me with a lecture about not wasting food, and how the starving children of Africa would be glad to take my place in line.

Damned son-of-a-bitch!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Liver and onions I still have regularly. Boiled beef heart and tripe is more difficult as the ingredients are less available.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 pm

tony h wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:54 pm
Liver and onions I still have regularly. Boiled beef heart and tripe is more difficult as the ingredients are less available.
I love liver & onions - always have. But found out it was because we ate rabbit liver, not beef liver. That's one of the main reasons I raise rabbits. :)
I suppose calf liver might be acceptable - but I doubt the price would be.

I've never seen tripe & innards of any kind are hard to find here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Nothing finer than rabbit. For Liver and onions I tend to have lambs' liver or pigs'.

A few years ago I was at a friends farm and we went out to shoot some rabbits that were making a mess of his crop. This was the first time I had been shooting with him. I was surprised that he intended to leave the corpses where they were. I went and collected them as we went round with about 40 at the end of the night. As we got back to the farm there was discussion amongst the farmer. his wife and three daughters as to what I would do with the rabbits. (OK, I know the line up sounds like the start of a smutty joke but it is true.)
They had never ever eaten rabbit but had shot them every year of their lives!

I skinned and cleaned a few to show them I knew what I was doing but then went home. I made a lovely dish of rabbit with Dijon mustard and bacon. And then I thought I would take some to the farm.

They tried it and liked it. There was enough for another meal. Then in the night the farmer and his wife were woken by a noise. The three daughters were in the kitchen eating the rest of the rabbit stew - including the one who was vegetarian.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Glorious story Tony.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:14 am

tony h wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm
They tried it and liked it. There was enough for another meal. Then in the night the farmer and his wife were woken by a noise. The three daughters were in the kitchen eating the rest of the rabbit stew - including the one who was vegetarian.
The taste of well-cooked rabbit will convert anyone! :D

Tony - I need your recipe. In all these years I've been eating rabbit, I've never had it with Dijon & bacon.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:08 am

The first time I tried it was when I went to a school mate's house for dinner. They had a small farm and my friend said we were having "Shake 'n Bake" (not sure how well that translates for the wizards across the water...check this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake_%27n_Bake) I thought there were some odd-shaped pieces on the platter but it was all quite delicious. It was only after dinner that I realized they had a small rabbitry, as well as the cows and meat-birds.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 am

BonnieL wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:14 am
tony h wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm
The taste of well-cooked rabbit will convert anyone! :D

Tony - I need your recipe. In all these years I've been eating rabbit, I've never had it with Dijon & bacon.
I am not sure I have a recipe as it changes by what I have in and whether I want it lighter (maybe served with rice) or very cuddly with cream and mashed potatoes and proper veg.

I looked up a couple of traditional recipes, I include links below, and found bacon wasn't mentioned - so it may be an addition of my own - some streaky chopped and browned with the rabbit. The key bits are a light stock (water, white wine (sweetish) or cider) and Dijon mustard. Dijon seems to work best. I tend to marinate the rabbit pieces in the mustard and garlic for a couple of hours.

https://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recet ... 15983.aspx
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 pm

It's in French! But they put pictures with the ingredients so I should be able to figure it out. Thank you!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC