moiety

Discuss word origins and meanings.

moiety

Post by Bobinwales » Tue May 01, 2007 8:30 am

Meirav Micklem asked:
Bob, I wonder what sort of reactions you get when you introduce her as your moiety - do most people understand what you mean?

I got curious and went over to read the original thread you referred to, but after a while it seemed to get rather sidetracked. (What, here on WW? Never!) So I'll just add my tuppence-worth here and say: what about just "his woman"/"her man"? Oh, no, I suppose the PC police would be up in arms about the possessive sound of "his woman", even though women do talk about their man/bloke etc and nobody seems to mind. Funnily enough, in Hebrew the word for wife is the same word as woman; whilst the word for husband has connotations of possession, which is why some more feminist-minded women tend to use a different term, meaning "my man".

I know, this is way off topic. Shall I take responsibility?
Yes Meirav, for the most part they do guess. Occasionally I get asked where I found the word, but more often that not people just accept it as one of my eccentricities.

I don't like "my woman", it has implied connotations that I am not easy with. I did use "my Lady", but that made me sound like a portly middle-aged hell's angel with a Welsh accent.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

moiety

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue May 01, 2007 4:57 pm

And are you? ;-)
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

moiety

Post by Bobinwales » Wed May 02, 2007 8:23 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a hog, but apart from that...

@ @
. 0 .
\___/
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

moiety

Post by coxie » Wed May 02, 2007 9:54 am

Moitey's portrait?
Post actions:

moiety

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri May 04, 2007 7:58 pm

It looks like one of the Lowrys that have just gone missing. The expensive one.
Post actions:

moiety

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat May 05, 2007 5:39 am

Clearly a great loss.

Until you explained, Edwin, I had been assuming that Bob's work was some kind of homage to Krusty the Clown of The Simpsons. ;-)
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

moiety

Post by Bobinwales » Sat May 05, 2007 8:25 pm

You are all so cruel. If ever I work out how to put a beard on it I will make it a self portrait! So there!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

moiety

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun May 06, 2007 6:02 am

@ @
. 0 . D
\___/
||||
. ||

I have also lent you an ear.
Post actions:

Re: moiety

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:11 pm

THIS is interesting, especially the paragraph that reads
Mr Justice Lewison said that Mr Roberts was entitled to a "moiety" - half of all wrecks that are cast onto the foreshore of stretches of the Pembrokeshire coastline that fall within his manors.
If Margaret finds out that in law she is half a wreck, I might just be in a bit of bother!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:20 pm

But she is still the better half of a wreck.
Post actions:

Post by russcable » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:08 pm

he was entitled to wreck that fell within his manor.
... so many potential jokes there ... if you think of an inappropriate one it's on you not me.

Is "half of all wrecks", half of each wreck (as above), every other wreck, etc, or is wreck being used as a collective noun like flotsam? I think he needs to get that language cleared up while he's in court.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:20 am

.. Bob I think that Margaret has her moiety plus interest ..

WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:47 pm

I noticed that the etymology of moiety was not addressed, so here it is:

MERRIAM-WEBSTER ONLINE:

Etymology of moiety: Moiety is one of thousands of words that English speakers borrowed from French. The Anglo-French moitè (meaning "a half" or "part of something") comes from Late Latin medietat-, meaning "half." Around the same time that "moiety" was borrowed from Anglo-French, "medietat-" was also borrowed directly from Latin as mediety, a word which can also mean "a half." "Medietat-" comes from Latin medius (meaning "middle"), which has contributed to such English words as "medium," "meridian," and "milieu."

Ken Greenwald - September 1, 2016
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:29 pm

While we're at it, let's recall that "moiety makes right" — in other words, "don't argue with the wife".

Isn't that right, Bob?
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:09 am

Someone once told me that when your moiety is angry with you all you have to do is explain to her that she is being unreasonable, and she will immediately see sense and calm down. Yes. Quite!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales