coon's age

Discuss word origins and meanings.

coon's age

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:04 am

It is always helpful to revisit the topic: coon sage might grow amongst the henbit and dogbane. That type thing.
The spoken word is a heck of a lot harder to cut, paste, and forward!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by nettie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:08 am

gd-how can we revisit a topic when I depsise the word revisit-Oh I know-maybe there is some chance that this is not about me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:35 am

Revive.
How about crochet. Yeah.
No. Tat. Thread tatting.
macrame?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by Shelley » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Gdwd:
My point, Shelley, is that even quoting the wonderful words of Martin Luther King's speech, and sincerely meaning them is received with the double-standard. Not by the color of your skin, but by the content of your character.
ICSIBYC does betray the dream. It is the outflow of severely-flawed character.

Ok, I get it. Thanks.

Erik:
Nettie, my interpretation of Shelley's remarks concerning spelling, grammar and mathematics was that she looked forward to a time when people would value things that were not trashy over those that were. She does not seem to me to be saying that people with less-than-perfect grammar do not deserve to be heard.

Yes. Nettie -- what he said. I'd even go so far as to say that some of those who lack basic skills most need to be heard, because they are the ones least likely to get a public platform. Unfortunately, lately it seems any ignoramous ignoramus with a nice voice and good teeth can get on the airwaves (TV included) and blah, blah, blah . . . At least here on Wordwizard I can parade my character's content (or lack thereof) without worrying about my sibilant 'ess'.

By the way Erik, for some reason my computer at home will not play the NPR link you've provided. I'll have to wait to try it at work (different hardware). It looks really interesting.

Education is the tool. It is the key -- the golden ticket. It's the only thing worth spending the money on. (Except travel, but that counts as education). And of course, bowling. Those are my values. I would not change the channel on someone because they couldn't spell or ignored basic punctuation, but I would hope that they'd care enough about their message to make it user-friendly to me, the receiver. It sometimes takes work on the part of the sender and the receiver for the message to get through.

Finally, with regard to off-topic agony: I'm just embarrassed when a thread goes over 3 pages and it's miles away from the original topic, and I've been a contributor. For me, it's agony to discover what a windbag I am! I agree with you that the "branching off" can be very fruitful, though, and shouldn't be lopped. So, it goes. On, and on, and on . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by nettie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:04 pm

I stumbled on this web sight by accident-originally my purpose was just to find what a coon's age meant. I found, however, some thoughts from others that made me sit back and think. I assume there are of web sites where these types of discussions are the theme, but I have found myself looking forward to reading the insights of those that have made this a 4 page ..something or other. Cool-went to spell check and got the ole no spelling errors detected-and to Shelley -Sorry about jumping to the wrong conclusion with regards to the language arts issues-one of the writers got it right.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by Shelley » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:31 pm

No need to apologize, Nettie. Good conclusions need to be jumped to from time to time!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by Gandalfbeb » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks, Ken,for your usual quality reply. It kind of says it all. I am glad, however, that you did not come in earlier or we should have missed the treat of our American friends getting steamed up about Imus and "Nabby Hos". None of which I had heard before. The word ho has no significance in the U.K. probably because few people would talk about a whore. Here, it is a prostitute, short form: pro, which is also the socially acceptable short form of the word professional. By the way, Coon's Age was a new one on me. I'm 70 tomorrow and still learning.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:55 pm

Happy Birthday!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

coon's age

Post by hsargent » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:35 pm

What countries have racoons? Are they only in the Americas? That would explain the expression not being known in the UK.

Possibly Coon's Age comes from the grey hairs on their faces. They look old.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

coon's age

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:15 pm

If you look, here or here Harry, you will see the story.

You are right, we do not have them naturally in Europe, never mind the UK.

But then, I have never heard of cow's age either, donkey's years yes, but that's about all.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

coon's age

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Bob, have you forgotten about our sheep's eyes, horse sense, fish breath, puppy fat, chicken hearts and calf love?

Say not the cattle nought availeth!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

coon's age

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:39 pm

I am glad, however, that you did not come in earlier or we should have missed the treat of our American friends getting steamed up about Imus and "Nabby Hos".
Barrie, This whole NAPPY HO thing made me realize how far out of it I am on some more recent U.S. lingo. I might have been the last person in the U.S. to not have known what it meant. I never herd of NAPPY in that sense, I never heard of HO except as one third of Santa’s greeting, and NAPPY-HEADED HOS was total news to me. And, in fact, I have never seen the Don Imus Show, although I am aware of who he is.

I thought I was somewhat in touch since I deal with elementary school, high school, and college students almost every day, but I guess they keep many of their favorite expressions to themselves in front of the old guy. But sometimes they do let slip a few. I recall several years ago on April 20, there was all kinds of laughter among the elementary and junior high school group I was working with at 4:20 in the afternoon and after some prodding it was revealed to me that four-twenty (4:20) meant 'marijuana.' And that one has been around since the 1970s! I guess I have to try to diversify more to try to keep myself current! Watch TV, see movies, listen to rap, . . . wear a disguise in the schoolyard. (<:)

Ken G – April 16, 2007
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC