repurposed

Discuss word origins and meanings.

repurposed

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 am

What I meant was, "Each and every", "apropos", and "first and foremost" are all particular teachers' over-used terms which have tested my own patience.
Maybe each and every one of us should have gone for a doctorate...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

repurposed

Post by nettie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks for explaining your reply-being out of school for a while I forget all the well worn phrases used by my teachers. Now I get to complain about the annoying words and phrases used by self proclaimed educational experts (consultants). Two more that I find eye rolling annoying are "kiddos" and the ever favorite "think outside of the box." Working on a mission statement for our school we were told not to be cliche and think outside of the box. Now how funny is that.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

repurposed

Post by nettie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:09 pm

Still I have never heard of "apropos". Are there any other words that make one cringe from the educational arena-either as speaker or listener? If I hear someone refer to our students as "kiddos" one more time I may role my eyes in public. How do you know when to use quotes and if you are over using them?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: repurposed

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun May 20, 2012 3:11 am

.. I am sure this has been treated more recently than this version of the topic .. maybe Erik can move this .. but I would like to add as an ugly word the nouveau verb to summit ..
British mountaineer Kenton Cool is making his 10th attempt to summit Mount Everest.
(Source: ABC news)
.. groaoaoaoan ..

WoZ climbing
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun May 20, 2012 5:01 am

aaa
Wiz, And, of course, if one can ‘summit’ one can always have a second go at it and resummit. (>:)

Ken – May 19, 2012
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 am

.. they certainly can Ken and suggest you have found an error in the ABC report it should read >>

British mountaineer Kenton Cool is making his 10th attempt to REsummit Mount Everest.

.. good spotting Ken ..

WoZ all groaned out
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC