fold twofold threefold

Discuss word origins and meanings.

fold twofold threefold

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:47 pm

Would someone please explain the actual meaning of this thing I said this morning : "The teatable, had its top not been replaced, would have had a tenfold increase in value."
What I meant was that it would have been worth ten times as much, say $400,000 rather than $40,000, had it retained its original top.
I imagine folding a piece of paper, and if the thickness is its value, its increase is manifold.
Exponential?
Is there a literal meaning, or is it just a way of saying, "You really shouldn't have replaced that teatable top."?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by trolley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 pm

Increasing something tenfold is certainly accepted as a ten times increase. Folding (doubling something over)ten times actually increases the number of layers by 1024. You really shouldn't have messed with that table!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by russcable » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:16 pm

Fan-folding 10 times increases the layers by 10 (from 1 to l1)
/VVVVVVVVVV
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by Shelley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Oxford American Dictionary:

-fold
suffix forming adjectives and adverbs from cardinal numbers:
1 in an amount multiplied by : threefold.
2 consisting of so many parts or facets : twofold.
ORIGIN Old English -fald, -feald; related to fold 1 .

My bold, above.

I've always thought of this as a multiple: "tenfold" would be "ten times" the amount in question. But I like the ruffs (uh, riffs) on "fold".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:11 am

I now have compleat understanding of the matter. Thanks.
Just being picky, trolley, but I think you mean "to" 1024 rather than "by" 1024. Right?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:02 am

Too right, James. I miter known someone would point that out.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:57 am

Who's been smoking joints around here?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

fold twofold threefold

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 am

James et al, I like the following Oxford English Dictionary description listed under the suffix -FOLD (twofold, tenfold, etc.) for earliest appearance in print:
<1695 “The quantitie of proportion is more generally defined by how much fold rather than by how many times the consequent is contained in the antecedent.”— ‘Geometry Epitomized’ by W. Alingham, page 63>
Also interesting is the existence of the adverbial form MANIFOLD (in addition to ‘manyfold,’ and ‘manifoldly’). The only manifolds I was familiar with were the mathematical ones in topology (noun), the ones on cars (noun), the ones meaning ‘of many kinds, numerous and varied’ (adjective) and, of course, the one from MANIFOLD DESTINY (Sooner or later your car is bound to end up in the shop!) (<:). Merriam-Webster and The Oxford English Dictionary were the only two dictionaries I checked that listed this particular adverbial usage (which, incidentally, appears to provide examples earlier than the one provided by them above for the suffix – but what do I know?):

MANIFOLD adverb: In the proportion of many to one, by many times, manyfold <“will increase your blessings manifold”>
<1526 “Epithime is a cloth that is foldeth MANYFOLDE thycke and is wete in waters.., the whiche is comonly layd vnto the lyuer.”—‘Grete Herball,’ Glossary, sig. Ddii/2>

<1590 “Then when his daughter deare he does behold, Her dearely doth imbrace, and kisseth MANI~FOLD.”—“The Faerie Queene’ by Spenser, I. xii. page 12>

<1611 “Who shall not receive MANIFOLD more in this present time, . . .”—‘King James Bible,’ Luke, xviii, 30>

<1797 “By an active and timely application of part of that capital to such improvements . . . , a revenue will be created so MANIFOLD more valuable to the state than the most usurious interest, a word more need not to be added!”—‘Pennsylvania Gazette,’ 4 January>

<1803 “The price given for lands is multiplied MANIFOLD.”—‘Writings’ (1984) of Thomas Jefferson, page 1133>

<1897 “It was found necessary to clear the entire piers from the mass of onlookers, or else the fatalities of the night would have increased MANIFOLD.”—‘Dtacula’ by Bram Stoker, vii. page 79>

<1927 “It might be amplified from numerous other sources and multiplied MANIFOLD.”—‘American Historical Review.’ Vol. 32, page 474>

<1975 “Not only were investments in the public and private sectors increased MANIFOLD, but . . .”—‘Journal of Industrial Economics,’ Vol. 23, page 214>

<2001 “The welcome we received was overwhelming but . . . the hospitality extended to us was . .. repaid MANIFOLD.”—‘Times’ (Electronic edition), 9 October>
(Oxford English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary, Merriam-Webster Online)

Ken – January 25, 2007
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:34 am

trolley
Too right is wrong!
In the shop, the engineers' motto, "Good enough is best" is extrapolated to
"Perfect is good enough".

russ
I like your explanation! V v's = Xfold

Shelley
2 many v's in your scarf makes it ruff to breathe!

Erik
It was a teatable.

Ken
Manifold is the new tenfold. Those who care will ask,"How mani-?".

Thanks all
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fold twofold threefold

Post by ColourSchemer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 pm

the bad puns continue to increase
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: The ColourSchemer

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC