person of Chinese descent

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by Shelley » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:32 pm

I assumed you knew I meant "Pie Crust" queen. I pray to the Pie Crust gods everyday. Tortes all 'round!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:30 pm

Pie are square.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by ColourSchemer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:23 pm

The point on victims is an excellent one.

Somewhere I once heard that a person chooses to be offended. And that is my problem with political correctness. It embraces and upholds a person's right to be offended by ANYTHING.

Furthermore, I am frustrated by the presumption that the offended person makes by presuming to know the meaning and intent of the speaker, when the offending word is spoken.

For example, (which has relevence to this forum as well as the OT conversation) I used to work in theatre. And in theatre, plain black curtains for hiding the wings and back wall are regularly referred to as 'blacks' rather than 'black curtains'. At some point in college (Alabama State University, a historically African-American college) the (racially mixed) technicians were discussing where to put said curtains. Someone over heard and was immediately offended by hearing the word 'blacks' spoken aloud.

Confronted, we explained the meaning, and they backed down a bit. There was clear presumption that we were using the word in a derogatory way.

If you seek to be offended, you will find things that offend.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: The ColourSchemer

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:30 pm

Conversely, to the pure in mind, all things are pure.

This was once demonstrated by Margaret Thatcher when she was still Britain's Prime Minister. Speaking to a journalist about her loyal Deputy Prime Minister, Willie Whitelaw -- if I recall rightly, they had just arrived back from Scotland aboard a sleeper train -- she firmly declared: "Everybody needs a Willie!"

And who would dare argue?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 am

Pie are square. Good one, gdwd.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 am

Thank you, Shelley.
That formula was taught by
a dear old lady who was always
very generous with her almond
crescents and brandied-fruit-on-
vanilla-ice-cream. From her stereo
came the classic "Slap Her Down
Again, Pa".

Concerning Eskimos, trolley,
have you looked Inuit?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:12 am

I sense he will have Nunavut.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:52 am

Erik_Kowal wrote: Conversely, to the pure in mind, all things are pure.
Thatcher? Pure in mind? Oh well. For the sake of correctness she is supposed to have said "Every prime minister needs a Willie!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:55 am

I went to a meeting with a German and an Englishman: Hermann Schmidt and John Smith (names changed!).

At the first meeting the greetings were exchanged "Good Morning Hermann" and "Good morning Mr Smith". The meeting went badly with both parties feeing insulted.

Now relations are much better. The greetings are : "Good morning Herr Schmidt" and "Good morning John"

It is a funny old world.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:00 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote: I sense he will have Nunavut.

Looks that way!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:36 pm

Are we polarized? Now you're making me blubber
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:03 pm

Nothing to wail about.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Can't help myself. Sometimes I just get a little mushy.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:12 pm

The snow here is making me get a little husky.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:12 am

.. the strange thing about politically correct people is that they always know that what they say is offensive is correctly identified and that they could not have possibily got it wrong .. even when you have the audacity to point out that in being politically correct they are in fact offending other people who wish to take offence at what they are demanding we all recognise .. and then these politically correct doyens hand out the big WHAMO !! .. you, the uncaring, insensitive dinosaur, are declared an *ist .. now this might be racist, sexist, ageist, or any other convenient *ist term .. now the twist comes because by some strange PI logic you are not allowed to be offended by being called names .. somewhere in the truning of the wheel you forfeited that privelege .. hopefully the trend of enlightened people to see the damage that is caused by PI will continue and we will return to a place of sanity where people matter and the interactions between people matter and where it is what we do in our lives and how we interact with people matters .. not just using the right word to make a semblence of caring ..

WoZ of Aus 27/01/07
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."