gommy [gaumy — Forum Admin.]

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by Shelley » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:24 pm

I wonder if the Old Norse "gaumr" was the inspiration for the name of that lovable and simple soldier, Gomer Pyle?
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:17 am

Phil, Thanks for doing the legwork. That makes more sense. My above speculation had been made while running out the door.

Ken - January 22, 2007
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:27 am

Shelley, One never knows. But the name GOMER, probably as in Gomer Pyle, was a Biblical name, both male and female. In the Old Testament it was the name of a grandson of Noah and was also the name of the unfaithful wife of the prophet Hosea. In Hebrew gomer means ‘complete.’

Ken – January 22, 2007
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:35 am

Ah, so Gomer was a complete Pyle of . . . no, I can't say it: I really liked the guy.
Post actions:

Post by zmjezhd » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:55 am

The proper name Gomer was also associated with the Cimmerians, though some are skeptical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimmerian# ... l_accounts
Post actions:

Post by nicktecky » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:11 am

Gormless it is then, I certainly remember it from childhood.
So I wonder where the Urban Dictionary got spinning wildly on the spot from?
Certainly I recall that gormless is purely reserved for slow-wittedness and would not apply to such manic behaviour.
Many thanks for your hard work, Ken. It is greatly appreciated.
Post actions:
Signature: nicktecky

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:05 pm

Nicktecky, the Urban Dictionary is more an entertainment than a source of illumination, since contributions to it are not moderated by professional lexicographers or academics. Such entries can, however, be edited by others, but as far as I can see a very great many of them consist of nonce words and/or ones made up primarily in order to entertain the contributor. That's not to say that the Urban Dictionary's project is worthless, just that it should not be taken too seriously.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Phil White » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:58 am

Wordwizard is more an entertainment than a source of illumination, since contributions to it are not moderated by professional lexicographers or academics...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:01 am

Phil White wrote: Wordwizard is more an entertainment than a source of illumination, since contributions to it are not moderated by professional lexicographers or academics...
That may be so, if one of us gets it wrong we soon get told!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:48 am

.. and gormless is very much alive and livid and being used in Yorkshire .. this from a lovely lady I chat with in Pontefract >>
Angie UK(04:12 AM) :
Oh dont talk to me about bloody cricket .... legend says we sent criminals to Australia, and it is bloody right, cos it was a crime how those gormless (good Yorkshire word for you!) buggers played .... am sick of them and would line them up and shoot them all given the chance.
.. and you might also gather she is not very impressed with the efforts of the current England cricket team in Australia .. *smile* .. she is so lovely when she is angry ..

WoZ of Aus 28/01/07
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:50 am

Lovely.

She's quite a treasure, eh?

However, if precedent is any guide, think how insufferable she'll get the next time England beats Australia.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 am

.. *grin* .. Erik she has already been righteously unbearable after a flooky drop goal in the Rugby World Cup 4 years ago and those very close games for the Ashes 2 years ago .. but I always resist the urge to rub her nose in it when the sport shoe is on the other foot .. *grin* .. honest .. I mean who would remember the Wallabies Rugby Grand Slam in 1984 ?? .. or the Socceroos beating England 3-1 in the soccer in February 2003 ?? .. I would never dwell on things like that .. *innocent look* ..

WoZ of Aus 28/01/07
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: gommy [gaumy — Forum Admin.]

Post by Sequoia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:32 pm

My grandmother used the word gommy frequently to refer to a "sticky mess", usually in conjunction with me or one of my siblings. She was born in 1893 and was raised in southern Illinois and lived most of her adult life in southern Indiana.
Post actions:

Re: gommy [gaumy — Forum Admin.]

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 am

Sequoia wrote:My grandmother used the word gommy frequently to refer to a "sticky mess", usually in conjunction with me or one of my siblings. She was born in 1893 and was raised in southern Illinois and lived most of her adult life in southern Indiana.
nicktecky wrote:Interesting...
Urban Dictionary.com
1: To spin wildly on the spot until unable to stand
2: A stickey mess.(adj) (sic)
3: To be gommy is to be slow, geekish, four-eyed, lethargic and off the ball.
Not necessarily the most erudite of sources, but a starting point at least.
.. and so we go full cycle back to 2007 when nickteddy was told not to take the Urban Dictionary too seriously ..

WoZ in the urban landscape
Post actions:

End of topic.