rear admiral

Discuss word origins and meanings.

rear admiral

Post by guile » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi,
Just like to say thanks to all the contributors here and wish to be am active part of the group. I'll be the ones asking for the larger part of my stay here, so I that hope you'll find the same enjoyable.

Now to my query:
A friend of mine must have read somewhere of a word that describes a girl (or the habit of looking at one) who appears tempting when seen from behind, but absolutely shattering when turns around to present a frontal view.
Since then, he has been pestering me about the word to the extent of turning many occasions into a dull affair.

Please save me!

ps: what word describes words like "rear admiral", whose interpretation(s) can range from formal to the very absurd?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:13 pm

Dear B., This reminds me a lot of the 'Word Fugitives' questions in the Atlantic Monthly. For example, a previous issue asked for “a word to describe a kind of typographical error: hitting a function key by mistake while typing on a computer,” thereby causing the computer to “start taking insane actions.”

In response, in the July/August issue, one person observed, “When you accidentally hit a function key while typing on a computer, it always makes the computer behave DISQWERTYOULSLY. Another said that one may experience DISQWERTITUDE. Other suggestions included QWER-KEY KEYBOARDING and QWERTASTROPHE.

But top honors went to the person who answered:

"Hitting the function key on a computer by mistake can cause mass destruction of the document you're working on. That's why it is classified as CYBER ERRORISM.

Incidentally, the article mentioned that there is an actual computer term for this type of error, FAT FINGER(ING), which is listed in the Computer Desktop Encyclopedia.

But I digress. However, in the spirit of 'Word Fugitives,' I will suggest for your word(s) DERRIERE DECEPTION!

And in answer to your P.S,, I think that one word that describes words which may have more than one interpretation is a PUN: “I used to work in a blanket factory, but it folded.”

Ken G – July 31, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:32 pm

Or you could regard the undesirable consequences of mis-hitting a key as I do, as comprising a CHENEY ACTION.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

rear admiral

Post by tony h » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 pm

My son introduced me to a usage when he said : "I wouldn't go there, the place is full of Kronenbourgs".

A Kronenbourg is a term applied to ladies who at some angles look younger than their years. It comes from a lager, Kronenbourg 1664. If you only see part of the label you see 16, turn around and you see 64.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

rear admiral

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 pm

B., Or how about POTEMKIN POSTERIOR!

Ken G - July 31, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by russcable » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:19 pm

That girl's a butter face - she has a really nice body... but her face !!!!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:44 pm

And, of course, lest we give the wrong impression of our true beliefs, many of us feel that inner beauty trumps the superficial kind - but I wrestle with this question constantly with regard to my faithful secretary Viola - and that the object of our discussion could just as well have been a guy. But some will argue that’s what bad looking PC people always say. Well not me! (<:)

Ken G – July 31, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:39 am

Her mind would be just as attractive if she were walking towards you or walking away.

I am sure you all thought that, but as it was so obvious you neglected to say so.;¬)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

rear admiral

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:03 am

I can think of numerous prominent individuals whose minds are like asses('), both coming and going.

I would not rush to call them attractive, however. :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

rear admiral

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:48 am

Not quite off topic, I remember a brief newspaper article from many years ago which had the line
"President Carter is being treated for an aggravated problem with hemorrhoids by his personal physician Rear Admiral William Lukash."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

rear admiral

Post by tony h » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 am

Recently reported was a headline from a magazine Injury Extra : Remonal of Pirate Ship from rectum : a case study. I was wondering whether the author was Phils's Rear Admiral Lukash.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

rear admiral

Post by hsargent » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Well Quille, your first post and you did not get a serious answer!

I, too, do not know of a term for a phrase that can be interpreted in multipal ways.

In the Navy again, my son is a Petty Officer which implys not to be taken seriously!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

rear admiral

Post by guile » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:50 pm

hmm, thanks. you presented some perfectly cromulent words.
Both Derriere Deception and Potemkin Posterior sound elegant. if these dont work, i'll have to divert my friend into believing the "inner beauty" argument.

to add to the pun, one of the cartoons i used to watch in my childhood days had characters like "Major Minor" and "Private Public"!
hsargent, "Petty Officer" tops the charts. ps: its guile, not quille

and tony h's recommnded case study is really a disgusting affair :>
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:03 pm

It's unlikely, but not impossible, that Rear Admiral William Lookass rose from the bottom of the ranks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:32 am

My father was a policeman, and he once told me that when he was training he met Police Constable Sergeant.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales