rear admiral

Discuss word origins and meanings.

rear admiral

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 am

Are we into the field of nominative determinism? If so then Cardinal Sin got top marks from me but I could not hide a smile when I read an announcement at our local church for a memorial service for the late Haliday Booking.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

rear admiral

Post by Shelley » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:55 pm

I once knew a librarian whose name was Bookout.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:25 pm

Shelley, One of my personal favorites is an early 20th century Fort Collins, Colorado, undertaker by the name of M. BALMER. The old brick building he had constructed for his funeral parlor still stands, except it is now the ‘Rio Grande,’ a Mexican restaurant. Oh! If those walls could talk.

With a slightly different twist, a local sponsor for our National Public Radio station, KUNC, is Dr. Mangle – which I always imagine to be accompanied by "A name you can trust!" (<:)

Ken – August 3, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:53 am

I wonder if he's a leg man?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

rear admiral

Post by racyrich » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:24 pm

guile wrote: Hi,
Just like to say thanks to all the contributors here and wish to be am active part of the group. I'll be the ones asking for the larger part of my stay here, so I that hope you'll find the same enjoyable.

Now to my query:
A friend of mine must have read somewhere of a word that describes a girl (or the habit of looking at one) who appears tempting when seen from behind, but absolutely shattering when turns around to present a frontal view.
Since then, he has been pestering me about the word to the extent of turning many occasions into a dull affair.

Please save me!

ps: what word describes words like "rear admiral", whose interpretation(s) can range from formal to the very absurd?
The 'word' your friend refers to is bobfoc. Short for body off baywatch, face off crimewatch.
You probably need a slang dictionary for that one :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by trolley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Many things seem good in hindsight.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by trolley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:19 pm

Regrettably, I lacked the foresight to avoid her.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Great Dane » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:34 am

Come now, folks! I don't want to be be-guile-ing here, but did no one notice the obvious irony here? I know that there are several grades of each, but a Petty Officer in the Navy carries the same "rank" as a Sergeant in other branches.

And though it's not only one word, "double entendre" would work to the original question.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

rear admiral

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:40 am

It would be generally wise to avoid fool frontals.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

rear admiral

Post by DJHampson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:31 am

Rear admiral used as synonymous with bobfoc has a perfectly legitimate etymology...rear deriving from Old French and admiral from the latin admirabilis (admirable).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: markedly DJH

rear admiral

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Actually, I have heard a gay gentleman called a rear admiral, makes you think about bobfoc doesn't it?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

rear admiral

Post by DJHampson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Excellent, Bob. LOL

Certainly will make you think more than I, bob!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: markedly DJH

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC