Coney Island; coney

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: Coney Island; coney

Post by tony h » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:31 am

My wife's rabbit is not performing as well as it did so I went on the internet to search for a more lively conny when I happened on this which I felt was likely to keep you all entertained for a night on your own http://www.rabbit.org/links/translate.html

My preference is to dress it up in a French style http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/brai ... d=trending which I only include in my surprise at finding it in Australia.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:36 am

Not all the imported rabbits succumbed to myxomatosis in Australia.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Tony we still have heaps of rabbits rooting around the country. Can still remember the rabbit man coming around with his cart selling wild rabbits. were as cheap as chips and always sold as a "brace", ie a pair. Just recently I went to buy a rabbit and I nearly died. Bloody thing cost me $32!!! Anyway at home I get to eat it all as my dearly beloved wifey won't eat the dear little furry things.

WoZ who loves a good stifado
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Dear WoZ,

my surprise was not at finding rabbits in Australia but in finding such a classic recipe on an Australian website.

Some years ago on a fleeting visit to the de facto capital I picked up a copy of the Australian Woman's Weekly Cookbook. I waited with anticipation to have a read of the interesting recipes. So it was my "go to" place for finding something with which to apologise to my children. I chose a cake. I can remember the whole recipe even after all these years. "Take one packet of cake mix." The complexity and subtlety of the recipe has coloured my view of Australian cooking.

Tony

PS, I shouldn't really allow this to persist. I also had the most wonderful shellfish and lamb. But I haven't yet had a BBQ in Oz. Maybe next year - hoping to do a round trip.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:26 am

Yes the good old Women's Weekly which used to come out monthly and the Women's Day that used to come out weekly. Go figure. I would hope that we have progressed from that difficult recipe to a time when we can easily compete with the world in our best Establishments. Even Rick Stein has opened his doors here, and not to mention Heston Blumenthal choosing Melbourne as his go to place while his restaurant was refurbished.

And if you do get over here and would like a beer I am sure I could find time. Ask Bob.

WoZ who enjoys fine cooking
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:50 pm

WoZ can indeed find some beer. There is no excuse for a thirst when you are in his company.
Bob and WoZ, happy!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Good times they were Bob.

WoZ - "Bottoms up"
Post actions:

End of topic.