Suri .. what's in a name ?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:36 pm

.. what’s in a name ??
Suri, the name chosen by Hollywood couple Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes for their newborn daughter, is raising more than its share of interest in Israel.
It means get out of here in the local language, Hebrew.
"I really don't know what they were thinking when they chose this name. It's a term that denotes expulsion, like Get out of here," said Gideon Goldenberg, a linguistics professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. "It's pretty blunt."
.. but then of course the proud parents can turn to other languages for a more delicate meaning ..
It's also a Nubian tribe, the word for rose in Persian, sun in Sanskrit and a term for a form of Alpaca's wool.
.. just an example of the trouble that one can get into in trying to move outside their own cultural language in naming a child .. so now we have a sunny, rose of a Nubian child who wears alpaca wool and is generally told to get lost. ..

WoZ of Aus 25/04/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:59 pm

The child's name was presumably selected in accordance with the scientologic method, a.k.a. "gigo".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by haro » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:32 am

Rolls Royce had to be told that Silver Mist would not sell well in German speaking countries, where 'Mist' means manure - or 'shit,' if used as an interjection. Web sites covering this story differ very much on the year when it allegedly happened. Any time between the 'fifties and the 'eighties can be found on the 'Net. I read it in the early 'sixties, and then it was something that had happened many years ago.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Post by Kanberra Kid » Sun May 07, 2006 5:02 am

Shakespeare wrote:- "What's in a name? That which call a rose,by any other name would smell as sweet"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Every silver lining has a cloud

Post by Oblio » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Since the description of her name is Hebrew for "Get out of here!"
Perhaps Katie wasn't so quiet after all? Maybe she screeched,

"GET OUT OF HERE!"

pehaps at Tom, the baby or both?
lol

I saw another meaning, that said it was "tipsyness" a vague Hungarian/English translation.
Perhaps an omen of her future as the princess of Lord Thomas Cruise Mapother IV.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling."
~Paula Poundstone

Post by tony h » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:13 pm

maybe they are preemting the teenage years
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by aka_darrell » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:44 pm

Kanberra Kid, we know that Shakespeare wrote:- "What's in a name? That which call a rose,by any other name would smell as sweet"

However, some professor - in California, of course - got a bunch of volunteer students and exposed them to the smell of roses. He told some that it was the smell of a rose and he told others that it was the smell of something else. It was determined that a rose by some other name was not as sweet.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:15 pm

The quotation is from William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, Act 2, Scene 1. The quotation has to do with Juliet's forbidden love for Romeo, a member of the Montague family, deadly rivals of the Capulets to which Juliet belongs:

" 'Tis but thy name that is my enemy; // Thou art thyself, though not a Montague. // What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot, // Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part // Belonging to a man. O, be some other name! // What's in a name? that which we call a rose // By any other name would smell as sweet; // So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd, // Retain that dear perfection which he owes // Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, // And for that name which is no part of thee // Take all myself."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:29 am

So, Oblio: what's your point? &lt-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by ignoramus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:24 am

'suri/surya' means 'sun' in almost all Indian languages.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Oblio » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:59 am

Shelley wrote: So, Oblio: what's your point? &lt-)
My point is that when I saw that discription for the name Suri, it was funny considering
that apparently during the CoS birthing rites, they call for complete silence.
Plus that by the time a baby is due, the mother wants the baby out, NOW!
soooo, THAT's my point. Capesh?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling."
~Paula Poundstone

Post by Shelley » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:07 pm

Um, er . . . how do I say this? . . . I'm afraid my little joke wasn't clear. There's an old child's movie called "The Point". It's about a boy who's born into a community of pointy-headed people -- but he's born without a point on his head. It's just round. So he gets banished, and has lots of adventures and ends up back home, and -- well, the boy's name is Oblio.
I knew what you meant about Suri "Get Out of Here" Cruise. I just figured you would know what I meant by Oblio. Can I have a do-over?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:45 am

Shelley, it seems your allusion fell into obliovion.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Oblio » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:10 am

Shelley, I apologize. I COMPLETELY missed the POINT! I am not used to anyone getting the point of my nickname.
I extend a hand and kneel to you. In my hand I have a:
@-->--

(My only excuse would be that I had just had a big flaming fight in IMDB with a complete moron, and I was loaded for bear!)
Besides, didn't you think I was being charming and funny? ;->
Now, for that very punny line, I SHOULD send my wrath to Erik Kowal!!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
~Paula Poundstone

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:17 am

Why, didn't you think I was being charming and funny? ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS