triquarterly

Discuss word origins and meanings.

triquarterly

Post by JANE DOErell » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:59 pm

http://www.centerforbookculture.org/context/ describes itself a a triquarterly publication but M-W.org and Onelook belches it back up. Clicking on a couple of online issue numbers pulls up no dates.

What do you think they mean by triquarterly?

[ed - As suggested below, I have sent them an inquiry as to what they mean.]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

triquarterly

Post by kagriffy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:49 pm

Sounds to me like a fancy way of saying "monthly." Since a quarter is three months, something published three times in a quarter would be published once a month. Or am I missing something here?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

triquarterly

Post by haro » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:06 pm

My thought at first sight was, 'published once in nine months' - and after having given it some more pondering, I'm still sticking to that. It may be a somewhat extravagant schedule, but that's their problem, not ours. Anyhow, 'triennial' is something that occurs once in three years, a 'trimonthly' event happens every three months, so something 'triquarterly' occurs once in three quarters (of an hour, year etc.).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

triquarterly

Post by tony h » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:48 pm

biweekly or bimonthly are defined as either every two weeks or twice a week etc. So presumably the same would be true of triquarterly. Maybe (but I suspect not) it is to differentiate between monthly and three times a month eg every 30.5 days. But in this case triquarterly would be imprecise as it would only require three times amonth but maybe all on the same day. Maybe they would be better served by equiperiodictriquarterly; ahh it brings back memories of German lessons or chemistry.

Is there a cure to stop one looking at this site.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

triquarterly

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:59 am

Jane, the simplest way of discovering what that website means by 'triquarterly' is to email them and ask. The simplest way for us to find out is for you to post their reply here.

In the absence of any feedback to the contrary, I shall simply assume that they charge 75 cents an issue.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

triquarterly

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:53 am

Jane, A TRIQUARTERLY is published three times a year. But the logic behind this designation alludes me. Using the model of the previous discussion three times a year where we found that ‘biannual’ meant twice a year, and ‘triannual’ meant three times a year, I assumed that TRIQUARTERLY might mean three times a quarter. But why on earth anyone would want to say three times a quarter instead of once a month or ‘monthly’ was beyond me, unless as Allen suggested they just want to sound ‘fancy’ or as Tony posited (with weak conviction) they wanted to make it clear that they are talking 30.5 days.

On the other hand, ‘bimonthly’ can also means twice a month (in agreement with the triannual model) or once every two months. Using the once every two months model of bimonthly (multiply the prefix by the time designation), TRIQUARTERLY could mean once ever three quarters (once every nine months) as Hans Joerg suggests. But, of course, logic often plays very little part in English, and as it turns out, neither model works. I might be missing something obvious, but can anyone make any sense of this one?

I don’t know if the outrageous tuition we have just finished paying, for my bouncing baby boy to graduate from Northwestern University helps to support Northwestern’s TriQuarterly, published three times a year, but if it does I am considering petitioning that national literary magazine (fiction, poetry, literary essays, and graphic art) to change its name or give a damn good explanation of how it was chosen. (&lt)

Note: TRIQUARTERLY does not show up in any dictionary that I checked and it appears to me to be an invention of Northwestern University. So, although we now know what it means, unless someone in Wordwizardland sees the key to the puzzle, it might be that the only way to get the answer is going to be to ask the good folks at the said magazine, which as an irate parent, I will volunteer to do.

Ken G – April 3, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

triquarterly

Post by tony h » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:43 am

looking at ther website I note that on page http://www.centerforbookculture.org/pag ... tions.html they describe the publication as being QUARTERLY!
CONTEXT

CONTEXT is a quarterly publication intended to create a historical and cultural context in which to read modern and contemporary literature. It is distributed free of charge to bookstores, universities, and libraries throughout the country, and its contents are posted online. The goal of CONTEXT is to encourage

So maybe it is just a good old typo.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

triquarterly

Post by JANE DOErell » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:38 pm

I have sent an inquiry to their 'contact us' address. [ed- That was a good suggestion, by the way.]

In the meantime, what is it called when a univeristy has a system between quarters and semesters? Nevermind, I came up with trimester.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

triquarterly

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:57 pm

Jane and Tony, I think that that TRIQUARTERLY is probably not a typo. A Google search produced ~ 130,000 hits and it looks to me that the majority of those refer to Northwestern’s TriQuarterly literary magazine founded in 1956, which it seems to me is probably the source of the coinage. On their website they say that their three yearly issues are spring/summer, winter, and fall. Traditionally a magazine with four issues a year or one issue for each season would be called a ‘quarterly.’ It appears that Northwestern, however, combined the spring and summer issue into one and, wanting to retain the traditional ‘quarterly’ in the title of their magazine, came up with what they undoubtedly thought was – and which is – the unique name TRIQUARTERLY.

Doing the math, it seem to me that the magazine CONTEXT has 3 issues a year. Their first issue was in 1999 and their latest issue is their 18th. That’s just not enough issues for 4 per year. I think that perhaps the confusion might be that they produce the magazine three times a year in three month intervals, but then skip one quarter. That’s the only explanation I can think of for their seemingly conflicting statements that they are both a ‘triquarterly’ and a ‘quarterly.’

http://www.triquarterly.org/about.cfm:

"TriQuarterly is a not-for-profit national literary magazine published three times a year at Northwestern University that features fiction, poetry, literary essays, and graphic art.
Founded in 1958 as a faculty and student magazine, TriQuarterly was reshaped in 1964 as an innovative national publication aimed at a sophisticated and diverse literary readership. The physical aspect of many literary journals today derives from the creation of the TriQuarterly design in 1964.

By publishing a combination of general issues and occasional special issues, such as for Vladimir Nabokov on his seventieth birthday; Prose for Borges; and The Little Magazine in America: A Modern Documentary History, TriQuarterly quickly became one of the most widely admired and important American literary journals.

The New York Times called TriQuarterly “perhaps the preeminent journal for literary fiction” in America, and the Times Literary Supplement (London) has said that TriQuarterly 'fulfilled the classic function of the literary magazine in the twentieth century.' Library Journal called TriQuarterly 'the premier literary review currently being published,' and Publishers Weekly noted that the twentieth-anniversary issue’s 'table of contents is a roster of some of the leading writers of our era.'

As a new millennium begins, TriQuarterly is approaching its fortieth anniversary. Under the direction of Editor Susan Firestone Hahn, the magazine maintains its commitment to presenting the finest of literary and graphic art for discerning readers.”

Ken G – April 4, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

triquarterly

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:32 pm

There was also a journal published in Ann Arbor, MI, between 1971 and 1991, the now-defunct Russian Literature Triquarterly. This was nominally produced three times a year (it came out 24 times during its 20-year lifespan, making an average of just 1.2 appearances annually). In this instance 'triquarterly' appears to have meant "as often or as seldom as we feel like".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

triquarterly

Post by minjeff » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Perhaps in the Russian Literature Triquarterly the "triquarterly" stood for every 3 quarters. That would produce 1 issue and 1/3 of an issue per year. (Of course there would still be 2 issues missing)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

triquarterly

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Good point, Jeff. That perfectly obvious possibility did not occur to me. My excuse is that the discussion of the peculiar publishing schedule of Northwestern’s TriQuarterly has caused me to become (more or less temporarily) deranged, so powerfully intoxicating is Ken's relentless prose. ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC