chug hole

Discuss word origins and meanings.

chug hole

Post by Shelley » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:05 pm

Thanks, Bobinwales -- that's just the thing. The pictures on the site show exactly what was on the video. My computer's Encarta Dictionary defines spelunking as "the sport or pastime of exploring caves. U.K. term. speleology n.2"
Hmm . . . "sport or pastime", eh? Looks more like a bad dream I had once! Actually I've enjoyed visits to caves, as long as I can stay on my feet.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

chug hole

Post by tony h » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:47 pm

In England Potholing and caveing mean pretty much the same, I think the only real difference is the nature of the entrance.

My original foray was in response to a posting on the works noticeboad. It suggested a weekend exploring caves in France - I though I was in for wine tasting.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

chug hole

Post by tony h » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:59 pm

From Chambers's
Chuck : a gentle blow under the chin, a toss or throw; any game of pitch and toss eg chuck-farthing. from French choquer to jolt

seems a plausible root
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

chug hole

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:43 am

Tony I think that you will find that potholing and caving are pretty much the same thing all over the UK not just in England.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

chug hole

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:25 am

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/get ... onNo==1077

Potholes here are wash holes which formed in stream-bottoms as the swirling action of moving water caused abrasive stones to wear away ever-deepening circular depressions.
When the local limestone quarry workers blast open a new section of the rockface, out roll "perfectly" round balls of quartz, some as large as cantalopes, which had worn the potholes in the softer limestone. Some have large collections of these round stones which tempt me to covetousness.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC