meaning and origin of "stay bless"

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by billnoir » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:02 am

I've seen quite a few posts/emails that finish with the closing phrase, "stay bless." I've mainly seen this in messages written by someone discussing how important their religion (Christianity in each case) is to them.

The first time I saw it, I thought the person meant "stay blessed," but after seeing this phrase many times, it became obvious that the phrase really is "stay bless." (If you search for "stay bless" with Google, including the quotes, you'll find quite a few postings using this phrase.)

Typical usage:

That's all for now,

Stay bless,

Christy

Question 1: What exactly does this mean? My first guess would be "stay blessed," but that doesn't make a lot of sense. (I'm not a religious person, but I think someone else has to bless you -- so you can't do anything actively yourself to "stay blessed" -- but of course I may be wrong.)

Question 2: What's the origin of this phrase? If the meaning is "stay blessed," why is "stay bless" used instead?

Thanks in advance for your time (and any answers),

Bill
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by minjeff » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:24 am

As a minister I end many of my emails with the expression "stay blessed" I've never come across "stay bless". I would assume that it is probably a blog/net short hand. I use "stay blessed" to indicate that I understand/assume that this person is blessed for many reasons already and I am encouraging them to seek fervantly to remain in the God's will for them, which is a blessing.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by mathaytes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:56 am

Philipians 1:6 (but you really should read from verse 3 to 6)
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

Paul didn't have any choice ... nor did Peter when HE said "Follow me" ... or anyone else. "...to them who are the called according to [his] purpose."

wHat is truth?

what about:

II JOHN 1:11
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: define each word, study the culture, deny self, die daily - pick up your cross and follow me ... then you can be my mathetes.

Post by Spearmint » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:34 pm

]Originally posted by mathaytes
Philipians 1:6 (but you really should read from verse 3 to 6)
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

Paul didn't have any choice ... nor did Peter when HE said "Follow me" ... or anyone else. "...to them who are the called according to [his] purpose."

wHat is truth?

what about:
II JOHN 1:11
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
Needed to read the scriptures before it.

"Whosoever transgresseth and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." 2John 9-11

Paul is speaking here of someone who is teaching false doctrine. He's saying not to bid him God speed, which means, don't condone what he is doing. He wasn't telling us not to say God Bless You to people.

We do have a choice to serve God. God doesn't force anyone to serve Him. It is by choice. God doesn't call just a few. He calls everybody. It's up to us whether we answer Him.

This topic was started to find the meaning of a phrase. Not to delve into doctrine, but just in case anyone is confused, I had to qualify what the person before me wrote. Eternal souls are nothing to take lightly.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by mathaytes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:08 pm

Ephesians 1:4-- He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be Holy and without blame before him in love.

Chosen--Greek: eklegomai - to select, make choice, from:
Ek--(ex)- origin, from,
Lego -- to lay forth; relate in words; a systematic discourse (an orderly arranged speech or writing); lego declares what is said (the word or logos);
Before the world began, God has chosen (spoken out of his mouth) and prearranged the salvation and holy living of only those that belong to him. John 3:16-- For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

World--Greek: kosmos - "orderly arrangement" adorn or decoration
From: Komeo (cosmetic); to tend or provide; to carry away from harm
Jeremiah 4:28 -- because I have spoken it, I have purposed it.

Spoken -- Hebrew: dabar - "to arrange" by command; determine; appoint
God says, "Let there be" -- And it is so. He has chosen (predetermined) his people, whom he foreknew, that they should live holy. This holiness is in obedience to God's word (orderly arrangement). Jesus learned obedience through suffering (Heb. 5:8). He is our example (I Peter 2:21). The word (logos) of God has prearranged that we will follow in his steps (II Tim. 3:12; Heb. 12:10). God did not love all the world (Kosmos). He "so" loved the orderly arrangement (world). "So" is an adverb telling how or in what fashion he loved the world. Who are these "whosoevers" that will believe in him? After Paul preached at Antioch, the scripture says, "As many as were ordained to eternal life believed." (Acts 13:48) (no more no less). We have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will (Eph. 1:11). It is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure (Phil. 2:13). God has spoken all things, "Declaring (dabar) the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, my counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure (Isa. 46:10)." "Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world" (Acts 15:18).

Truth is NOT to be taken lightly!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: define each word, study the culture, deny self, die daily - pick up your cross and follow me ... then you can be my mathetes.

Post by mathaytes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:26 pm

John 10:3,4,11,27,28 - he calleth his own sheep by name - the sheep follow him for they know his voice - the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep - my sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me - and I give unto them eternal life.

Ephesians 5:25 -- Christ loved the church and gave himself for it.

church - Greek: ekklesia - "a calling out"; hence "the called" of God.

Proverbs 20:12 -- The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them.

Isaiah 50:5 -- He wakeneth mine ear to hear as the leaarned - the Lord God hath opened mine ear.

Matthew 11:15 -- He that hath ears to hear, let him hear --

hear - Greek: akouo - to understand by imperative command; having the same effectual work of God as when he said "Let there be light" - It is so.
In ancient Israel the kingdom was considered a sheepfold, ruled by a shepherd-king. The subjects were called sheep (Ezek. 34:2-10). The whole people of Israel was designated "the church" as a divinely called congregation. The early Christians believed themselves to be this "church" or true sheep of Israel. Stephen spoke of this church being in the wilderness with Moses (Acts 7:38). The church (called out) and sheep are equivalent terms. The sheep are "called out" of this world to live righteously as the kingdom of God (Luke 17:21). Israel was called The Kingdom of God (or heaven). Jesus as the shepherd-king died only for His sheep (the church). He did not die for every individual. However he died for "all men". God had limited his "calling" to Israel under the old covenant. Because of their idolatry, he extended the kingdom (calling) to all flesh (red flesh, yellow flesh, black flesh, white flesh) (Joel 12:28; Acts 2:17). Men of every nation, tongue, and kindred will be a part of the church (flock) according to their election from the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4). Jesus died only for his sheep (the church - the called) which were given to him by his father (John 6:37-39; John 17:2,6,9,10,11,24). Jesus died for an exact people. Jesus did not die for the man in hell (Luke 11). He is dying the second death (Rev. 20:6,14; 21:8) paying for his own sins. Death means separation from God (Luke 16:26). Jesus was separated from God for this church (sheep) when he cried "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken (separated yourself from) me (Matt. 27:46)". Every man must die once (Heb. 9:27). If Jesus died (paying the debt) for any mans sins who spends eternity in hell, then there is an inequity with God in that he is requiring double payment for sins. God is rightous, he will not do that. Jesus chose his sheep before the world began (II Thess. 2:13). He gave them hearing (spiritual) ears to hear, then he commanded them "follow me" (John 1:43). Moreover whem he did predestinate, them "he also called"; and whom "he called" he justified, and whom he justified he glorified (Rom. 8:30).

(some were not ment to "StaY BLessed") the whole point of this original topic.

Done
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by minjeff » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:09 pm

I would argue that both of you are correct. In Genesis God gives humanity free will or choice, and in the afore mentioned scriptures God chooses his servants. This seems to be contradictory however they are both inherently right. Christianity is founded on a great many paradoxes (such as our eternal life through Christ's death); this is just another.

(Not to start a theological argument... er, dialogue but...)

If we only believed in God's choosing then we would not be accountable for our actions and eventually the world would degenerate to utter chaos because few felt responsible.

If we only believed in our own free will and choice we would become egocentric, self-centered and -focusing individuals and society, believing that since God held no power over us we must be God's own equal.

Both two very dangerous ideas. I would admonish everyone to be careful of polarizing the ideals upon which Christianity is founded, because the tension between the two paradoxical poles is what gives Christianity it's depth and profundity.

(I hope I didn't open up a can of worms)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:47 am

.. can any of you ravers about explain .. in less that 27 verses of the Bible .. what any of the above has to do with the difference between stay bless and stay blessed ??? .. or did I miss something when I turned right at Bethlehem ..

WoZ of Aus 01/04/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by kagriffy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:17 am

I was wondering the same thing, WOz!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Perhaps it's all part of the mystery!

Ken G - April 1, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by mathaytes » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:26 pm

lol .... stay bless = pagan origin 311 AD edict tollerance (AKA Edict of Milan). amalgmation of Christians with paganism - thank you constatine.

short and sweet ... chew on that for awhile.

Truth?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:24 am

.. christianity = a perversion of deeply founded local "pagan" natural religious beliefs rewashed and presented by the first spin doctors as being original thought + a commercial opportunity + a theocracy + get out of torture free cards = world chaos and war ..
short and sweet ... chew on that for awhile.
.. should I say this with a laugh ?? ..

WoZ of Aus 02/04/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:31 am

I assume that yours is a particularly broad church, WoZ. ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by minjeff » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:31 pm

I think that you guys may be assuming that certain political figures determine all (or most) of Christianity. I hate to plug, but try http://www.ucc.org and see what you find.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:31 pm

for Pete's sake, new topic, please
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS