pls send the meaning of word Tabiba, an Arabic word by origi

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by szahedy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:33 am

pls send the meaning of word Tabiba, an Arabic word by origin
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Laurie Reinders » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:08 pm

I add that the term employed for women and men doctors with degrees from the College of Medicine is tabib (male)/ tabiba (female).

Taken from an article on the web @
http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/ej/jpe ... divol6.htm

I'd check for another resource to back this up, but this was all I could find in a jiffy.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." ~Henry David Thoreau

Post by Laurie Reinders » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:30 pm

Hello S. Zahedy!

I received your email and I couldn't find any free on-line Arabic translators that would translate doctor or tabib/tabiba. However, after a little more digging I was able to find a book titled 'Mudhakkirat Tabiba' that has been translated into english as 'Memoirs of a Woman Doctor'. I also found some articles from Arabic papers that had some english translation with Tabib or Tabiba as the suffix to the persons name (as we would use Dr. joe Smith they used Miss. Tabiba Jane Smith or Tabib Joe Smith).

Hope this helps!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." ~Henry David Thoreau

Post by aelnamer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:03 am

Laurie,Zahedy, you need to try a number of diffrent words to get to the actual word Tabib/Tabiba.For some reason it does not accept Doctor,but rather it will take the word,Practitioner.Try one of the following free sites:Babylon,or Ectaco.I usually use Ectaco:www-old.ectaco.com.You will find the translated word in Arabic as Tabib and Tabiba.You will not get any results if you put in Tabib or Tabiba.The word has to be in Arabic.

Ahmed
1st of February,2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Ahmed EL Namer
Dawson Creek,BC

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC