A sound you do not notice until it stops.

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:09 am

.. Shelly & kagriffy .. don't know about in your part of the world but Downunder the singlet .. which incidently has nothing to do with the original word being discussed, ie sniglet .. is very much as modern as now .. singlets are a definably Aussie mode of dress worn by everyone from workers to walkers to wankers to well everyone .. they can be worn as sporting attire, eg basketball singlet .. to the gym or just as casual attire .. the dark blue workman's singlet worn with stubbie shorts or King Gees is as Aussie as the kangaroo .. our climate makes them a sensible cool top to wear .. girls also wear them ..

WoZ of Aus 18/12/05
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bozo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:37 am

adding to Woz's reply, the workers singlet is commonly referred to as a "Jacky Howe"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by pokoma » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:49 pm

Don't know the term but here's a real example. My parents'grandfather clock had a Westminster chime that sounded (all or part) every quarter hour. Visitors would ask how we could stand it. My family, of course, had gotten used to it. At 18 I went away to college. The first several weeks I kept feeling an odd discomfort, an imbalance. I finally realized it was the lack of regular chimes!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC