A sound you do not notice until it stops.

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by pinchdog » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:17 pm

Many years ago I heard someone use a word for a sound that isn't noticed until it stops, such as a running refrigerator. By the time I was in a position to look it up, I couldn't remember the word. Any help out there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:34 pm

Ambient noise? Subliminal sound? "White" noise?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:47 am

Subthreshold?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by minjeff » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:11 am

I think what pinchdog is going for would be a sound or acoustics word that probably is esoteric to the field of study. I'm searching for some sort of "acoustic vocabulary list" or something to help.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by minjeff » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:23 am

Audiosis- the hearing of sounds that you don't notice until it stops

I found it here:
http://markhasty.com/archives/2004/05/2 ... h-concept/

and although I couldn't corraberate it on dictionary.com or in Merriam-Webster.

It seems that it would be a pretty cool band name though. Although this is all google.com brings up for audiosis is discussion on band names.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:21 am

Jeff et al, You’re not going to find AUDIOSIS, meaning “the hearing of sounds that you don't notice until it stops,” in a dictionary, and I did check and didn’t. According to http://www.english-zone.com/index.php?page=1103 it’s a made-up word which they call a SNIGLET – Words that don't appear in the dictionary, but should – and the site lists hundreds of them. ‘Sniglet’ is actually a real word that appears in the Random House Unabridged Dictionary:

SNIGLET noun [1980-85]: Any word coined for something that has no specific name. [said to be derivative of obsolete sniggle, to snicker, with ‘-let’]

I guess I would add to the above definition that a SNIGLET is coined to specifically elicit a laugh/snicker, which is clearly implied from its derivation.

Since anyone can define anything SNIGLETS don’t necessarily have any currency, although some might – ‘bloviate’ would probably have been considered a ‘sniglet’ had the word ‘sniglet’ existed in the 19th century and 'bloviate' did eventually find its way into the dictionary, as some coinages/neologisms do. But many of these words are just good for a hearty laugh. These types of fun words were also discussed here under made-up words and redefinitions.

Ken G – December 10, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:46 pm

Ken, thank you for that neologism, love it. Wouldn't most blend and portmanteau qualify as sniglets

I take back "subthreshold," close but doesn't quite fit

However, re audiosis, I get several hits on "The hearing of a sound after it quits." Is this another case of "smearing"? (can never remember the correct term)

PS: I rather liked "Singlet" and think it ought to be a word too
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by haro » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:27 pm

Maybe the term 'singlet" could be introduced as a sniglet meaning a made-up word that can be used in one particular sentence only.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Post by Shelley » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:59 pm

dalehileman, I'm pretty sure "singlet" is a word. It's an old-fashioned name for a man's undershirt. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)
Also, you wrote:
"The hearing of a sound after it quits." Is this another case of "smearing"? (can never remember the correct term)
I think HEARING a noise after it stops is not the same as being aware a noise WAS there only AFTER it stops. It's the difference between still feeling one's leg after it's been amputated, and taking one's leg for granted until it's gone. Is that what you mean by "smearing"? Sort of like "do unto others what you would have them do unto you" becomes in a popular song "I'll do unto you what you do to me"?
Also, minjeff, speaking of cool names for a band: years ago I came across a microscopic critter of the sea called "radiolaria". Always thought that would be the name I'd choose for my band when I had it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:06 pm

'Phantom limb' is the technical term for the sensation of still having a limb which has in fact been amputated. So by extension we might perhaps refer to 'phantom sound' for a noise that one only becomes aware of after it stops.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:25 pm

I still think those are two different things, Erik. Phantom sound is a good name for sound that you hear even after it's quiet. For example, after a rock concert, one leaves the stadium or hall still hearing the noise "ringing" in one's now further damaged ears. I'd call that "phantom sound". But it's different when, for example, a lighting fixture is buzzing, and one is completely unaware of the sound until the light is turned off, and suddenly one hears the contrasting silence and "hears" (or becomes aware of) the buzz. That's what I think pinchdog is talking about.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by kagriffy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:53 pm

While "singlet" may be an old-fashioned word for a man's undershirt, Shelley, it is a current word used for the one-piece leotard-like outfits worn by wrestlers.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Post by dalehileman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:58 am

Shelly, no, forgive me for not being crystal clear. Evidently "audiosis" originally meant only being unaware of the sound til it quit. But the longer a word is current the more meanings get attached to it, eg, continuing to hear the sound. I referred to the phenom as "smearing" 'cause I can never remember the right term

Smearing happens when users drops a term practically anywhere they think it might fit, whereupon others adopt the new meaning.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:13 pm

kagriffy wrote: While "singlet" may be an old-fashioned word for a man's undershirt, Shelley, it is a current word used for the one-piece leotard-like outfits worn by wrestlers.
Of course, kagriffy -- just what I was trying to remember!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by reedder1 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:29 pm

Hey pinchdog,

Try starting with "Illusory continuity of noise". If that doesn't lead to an answer search using auditory illusions. For this topic you may have better luck on google scholar.

Derek
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS