lodgment

Discuss word origins and meanings.

lodgment

Post by Liam - Galway » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:53 pm

I've been trying to find the source of the word 'lodgment' - particularly as it relates to banking, i.e. to make a lodgment as in paying in a sum of money. This is a common term in Ireland but nobody can tell me how it may have come about.

Any help much appreciated...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

lodgment

Post by haro » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:39 pm

Maybe etymological details will also answer the question why 'lodgment' is pronounced as if it were spelled 'lodgement,' which sometimes is the case indeed. There are only very few English words in which a 'g' followed by a consonant is pronounced that way. French doesn't explain the spelling because there it is 'logement' in any case; the 'e' cannot be dropped without affecting the pronuncation. The French word 'loge,' however, is said to be of Germanic origin, which makes things even more interesting. I hope Ken will swallow the bait. Ken?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

lodgment

Post by tony h » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:17 am

Origin: 1175–1225; ME logge < OF loge < ML laubia, lobia; see lobby

frome Dictionary.com

Thinks to himself: Why has this just come up? Whatever happened to haro? Did he get bored and moved away? was he sent crazy and is now locked up in some asylum? Is there anwhere to remember contributors that have passed away (without necessarily being deceased)?

It must be that Monday morning thing
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

lodgment

Post by JANE DOErell » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:30 pm

Completely off topic but it seems it must be here to make any sense.

I have heard that long URLs that require horizontal scrolling like Dales link immediately above as of this posting are do not require horizontal scrolling if the viewer is using Vista.

Anyone here with Vista to confirm that?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

lodgment

Post by russcable » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:17 pm

From what I can tell using the wildcard search on onelook there are:
abridgement/abridgment
acknowledgement/acknowledgment
judgement/judgment
lodgement/lodgement
Most dictionaries list both with and without an e spellings.

A few dictionaries also have judgmatic but no dictionaries have judgematic.

Also, lodge/loge seems to be a case like chef/chief where we have re-adopted the same French word.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

lodgment

Post by Phil White » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:20 pm

It doesn't have anything to do with Vista. It's the browser you're using. It displays okay with Internet Explorer 6 under Windows XP, but not with Firefox.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

lodgment

Post by jeffreys » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 pm

russcable wrote: From what I can tell using the wildcard search on onelook there are:
abridgement/abridgment
acknowledgement/acknowledgment
judgement/judgment
lodgement/lodgement
Most dictionaries list both with and without an e spellings.
Generally, English English omits the "e". USA English includes it, on the loopy basis of "Spell as you speak" [see Fowler].
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC