Is there anything in the wind...

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by minjeff » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:03 pm

Please, I don't believe that there is a certain word hierarchy of which words are "better" or "lesser", however I can see you confusion. Look at your problem from the perspective of another language though. "Rain" in Spanish is "La llueva" and "to rain" is "llover". "Wind" on the other hand is "Viento" and "to wind/for the wind to blow" is "hacer viento". Either way it just how the language has evolved to describe climatic phenomena.

Also, consider the importance of why such expressions could have evolved. Just taking a stab in the dark here, but using rain/snow as a verb shortens the sentence perhaps the necessity of brevity when the rain/snow began to fall caused this modulation, whereas the wind blowing wouldn't really require a quick expression. Although, I could be absolutely wrong considering tornados, hurricanes, and cyclones can cause just as much if not more damage than rain/snow storms.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by kagriffy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:16 pm

Marge Simpson: "Bart, run like the WHINED!" Lisa Simpson: "Mom, that's 'run like the WINNED.'" Marge: "Sorry. I've only seen it in print!"

I know it doesn't add to the discussion, but I thought it was appropriate. *G*
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Post by please » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:32 pm

Minjeff, thanks for your comments.
It's interesting to hear that the same situation exists in Spanish. I also remember from my school days that French too needs another verb to activate the wind.
I think it is universally accepted that some languages are more developed than others. So, if the whole language has a rank among languages, then the constituants of one particular language may also have hierarchy among themselves within this language. As a layman I feel that the words which have both a noun and a verb function are more developed than the others which have only one function. It may be right to say that rain is a more developed word than wind.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by mike2005 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:02 pm

The movement of the atmosphere (wind)
causes differing moisture and temperature combinations
resulting in precipitation

In weather terms therefore, wind has a higher rank than mere precipitation.
Logically then, or even linguistically why whould we need to rank wind against rain/snow?

Mike
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:23 am

Erik_Kowal wrote: Dale, perhaps you can explain things to 'please' in terms that he/she can understand? I sense that you have a sixth sense about this.
Erik thank you, I'm flattered. But I'm far too confused by the whole thing to be of any help whatsoever
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:17 am

I can foresee a fun new variation on 'rock - paper - scissors' called 'sun - wind - rain' emerging from the futile attempt to 'rank' wind against other weather phenomena.

Let's consider... Sun beats wind (because the sun's heat creates the wind); wind beats rain (because air currents are needed for rain clouds to accumulate); rain beats sun (because the rain clouds obscure the sun).

Your call, 'please'!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Andrew Dalby » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:57 pm

I don't know if I really want to get involved in this, but ... Quote:

>> I think it is universally accepted that some languages are more developed than others

This is your mistake, 'please', I'd say. It isn't universally accepted. Far from it. It's generally accepted that a baby, first learning to talk, can learn to speak any language -- or any pair of languages, in a bilingual household -- with equal ease. Which would be a hint, wouldn't it, that languages are all at a roughly equal stage of development? In any case they are all at the same distance in time from 'Eve's language', whatever that may have been like ...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by T. Golden » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:10 am

Bobinwales,
Bobinwales wrote: No, because the rain is Tess, the fire's Joe, and they call the wind Mariah
Your post made me laugh out loud. I'm starting to giggle again. I remember the song, but not the title or who sang it. Would you tell me?

Thanks for the laugh.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: <b><i>T. Golden, Washington, DC, USA</i></b>

Post by dalehileman » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:58 am

dalehileman wrote:
Erik_Kowal wrote: Dale, perhaps you can explain things to 'please' in terms that he/she can understand? I sense that you have a sixth sense about this.
Erik thank you, I'm flattered. But I'm far too confused by the whole thing to be of any help whatsoever
I think your very first followup pretty well satisfied Please's question
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:24 am

Hi T. Golden. Don't want to shortstop Bobinwales, but I do know the answer to some of your question. The song is called "(And) They Call the Wind Mariah". It's from "Paint Your Wagon", a musical that opened on Broadway in the early 50's. I don't know how long it lasted. A character named Bullneck (or something like that!) sings it in the musical show. Then, Hollywood made a movie of the show in the 60's starring Lee Marvin, Jean Seberg and (would you believe it?) Clint Eastwood. I can't remember who sings the song in the movie, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Lee Marvin! Might be Clint.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:00 am

I’m glad I made you smile Thelma. And thank you Shelly for saving me having to write the full bit. I don’t want to sound like an expert in this, because I have only seen the film once, and apart from the polyandry, Lee Marvin singing Wanderin’ Star somewhere down in his boots, and Mariah, which I remembered from the ‘50’s anyway, I recall nothing. But “They call the wind Mariah” was apparently sung by Rotten Luck Willie, played by Harve Presnell in the film.

This information has been gleaned from various sites, so if it’s wrong, please remember that I am only the messenger.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by please » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:28 pm

Many thanks for your contributions. I will now venture into an example to help me explain what I think :
Can an object be better (more developed) than another for a specific use? I suppose, yes it can. What if I need to support an object with another one to perform a task? Would this be better or worse than achieving a task without the need for a supporting object? Worse, I daresay.
When I think of talking about a wet day, it rains in my mind. But when I think of talking about a windy day, it doesn't wind. I need to summon the support of a verb to activate the wind. It needs support. So it is less developed than the ones which do not need any support.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:56 pm

please wrote: . . . When I think of talking about a wet day, it rains in my mind. But when I think of talking about a windy day, it doesn't wind . . .
No, please -- it blows. In your mind, I mean. Which is not to say your mind is blown . . . ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by T. Golden » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:02 am

Bobinwales and Shelley, thank you so much for giving your time and effort to my little question. Nothing compares with the gift of knowledge.

P.S. Shelley, Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: <b><i>T. Golden, Washington, DC, USA</i></b>

Post by Shelley » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:29 am

Thanks T. Golden. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, too!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC