doggle

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:32 am

Evidently something connevecting to PC, possibly thru USB
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

doggle

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:53 am

Do you perhaps mean 'dongle'?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

doggle

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:57 pm

Erik: I think they may be synonyms
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

doggle

Post by russcable » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:29 pm

Doggle is a typo for dongle for computers. Lots of hits for boondoggle and puns on it, bean-doggle, etc. (sort of like xxx-scam, xxx-gate, etc.) also a product for dogs and a few other uses, but for computers it's a dongle.

Originally, a dongle was for the serial or more often parallel port and had a pass-through capability so that a printer or modem could still be attached to it. The dongle was queried by the software that it came with as a form of copy-protection, i.e. without the hardware attached to the port, the software package would not run, but the dongle vary rarely served any other purpose itself.

More recently, dongle is used as the name for the "form factor" of the device rather than the purpose. The device most often attaches to a USB port and serves as e.g. WiFi adapter, Bluetooth adapter, thumb drive, etc., i.e it has some function itself rather than just being a software piracy prevention device. It usually has no pass-through capability as people have plenty of spare USB ports and if not they can make more by adding a USB hub which wasn't an option with serial or parallel ports.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

doggle

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:55 pm

Russ: Thank you most sincerely. Fortuitously we have an IT visiting this weekend who can further translate for the non-geek (me)

You guys are a positive goldmine
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

doggle

Post by haro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:07 pm

The term dongle had been around long before it became popular for copy protection devices. The first time I heard it was from an American around 1973 at the Center for Dental and Oral Medicine of the University of Zurich, meaning the joiners for BNC cables we used on the storage scopes in our laboratories. Later the same year I found it in an article in Popular Electronics, where it meant the same thing.

In the early 'eighties the term was adopted by Dataview Ltd. for their hard-wired copy protection gizmo for Wordcraft, their text processor program, which, if my memory serves me right, was sold mainly for Commodore computers. By the way, pass-through capability came into the picture years later - if I'm not badly mistaken, that is.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

doggle

Post by russcable » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:38 pm

I had a parallel pass-through dongle for some software at work back in '87 or '88 on an IBM PC AT and then a PS/2 50. I don't remember what the software was but I think there was a cheetah or a leopard on the box. It was in fact "years later" but only a few seconds in Internet time ^_^ . A little later at that same job, I used one of the first CD-R writers ever made to be connected to a PC. It was a separate 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft box, took over an well over an hour to make a CD whether it was full or not, usually ruined about half of them at over $5.00 a piece, and there was some very expensive part on it that had a very short life - usually had to be replaced after burning 100-200 CD's. As I recall, the writer itself cost about $6000.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

doggle

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:16 pm

Again thanks to bothaya guys. It's all terrific grist for my tiny mill
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

doggle

Post by haro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Yeah Russ, those were the days... In '82 I got my first hard disk, 15" x 15" x 6". The storage capacity was a staggering 25 MB (go figure!), and at 18 grand it was a bargain. Yup. And the best thing was, I had to write the entire driver utility program myself because the one provided by the maker wasn't compatible with my operating system.

That was the time when I began to crack dongle codes, not to circumvent copy protection but to bypass the dongle to be able to use the parallel port occupied by it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

doggle

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:25 pm

I wonder if Dale's dongles transmit data by connevection.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC