body souffles and foot butters

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:38 am

Body and bath creams. Can anyone suggest how long these two terms have been around--thanks

(Reason I ask, I'd never heard them, and I have a project going where I can't use them unless they're fairly recent--say within the last 50 years)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:12 am

I wouldn't want to have a bath with stuff that was over 50 years old personally. New bottles are quite cheap in most supermarkets I find.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Shelley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:34 pm

I wouldn't want to have a bath with stuff that was over 50 years old . . .
I don't know, Bobinwales -- Bruce Springsteen is over 50 and I'd have a bath with him anytime! (I say this at the risk of ruining my reputation with the good folks at WW.)
dalehileman, if fairly recent means within the last 50 years, then I think you're safe to use the term "body butter".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:45 pm

Shelley! I am surprised at you, although it's nice to know that you would contemplate having a soak with something other than a dictionary. Let me know if you manage it with The Boss though, I would love to know where he put his guitar.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:09 pm

Bob et al: I was delighted by your responses, but as usual I didn't make myself clear. My project is a kind of dictionary of recent slang, neologisms, etc, but if a term has been around for several hundred years I usu won't use it--Thanks all and keep 'em coming
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:19 pm

"Body butter" and similar has been popularly used the last 10 years or so, but... Cocoa butter, Shea butter, etc. have been used for cosmetic purposes for a long time so it's not impossible that there was some usage of similar terms.
For example, I'm not sure exactly how long the product "Udder Butter" has been available but I'm sure it predates the current "Body Shop/Bath & Body Works" trend (a competing product, "Bag Balm", has been on the market since the turn of the last century). While both of these products are primarily marketed for use on cows, they are also sold in grocery and drug stores for human use.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:37 pm

Thank you Russ, I'm indebted for your pertinent replies

This may sound like a dumb question, but where a term is brand new, I need a few instances of corroboration:
Can I asume that foot butters are applied mainly to the feet
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by kagriffy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:57 pm

Or maybe they're just a series of 12 "inch butters"! *G*
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:15 pm

Something is afoot.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Phil White » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:26 pm

It says everything about how gripping the translation is that I'm currently (not) working on that I decided to find out what foot butter is. I wish I hadn't.

"Raspberry Mint Foot Butter"!!!

I am grateful for your motivational support, Dale; my translation has suddenly become far more appealing than it was five minutes ago.

Shelley, in case it crosses your mind, I just don't want to know about you, the Boss and Raspberry Mint Foot Butter.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by dalehileman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:46 pm

Oh but I do
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC