wheemed

Discuss word origins and meanings.

wheemed

Post by Shelley » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:25 pm

Andrew glanced quickly down upon a horned, bruised anvil; and laid his hand flat against the cold, wheemed iron; . . . – "A Death in the Family", James Agee.
So far, I don’t find WHEEMED in the dictionary. As a poet, Agee was licensed to make up new words: the sound of wheemed might suggest a definition. Does anyone know what this is?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

wheemed

Post by Phil White » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:47 pm

The sound made by sharpening a cutthroat razor on a strop, hence "sharp"?

This also explains the reason that "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" is often sung by barber shop quartets:
"a-wheem, a-wep, a-wheem, a-wep, a-wheem, a-wep, a-wheem, a-wep, ...."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

wheemed

Post by spiritus » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:33 am

Shelley,

More then likely Agee has taken poetic license and created a derivative of the transitive verb form of the word, whet.

Whet --- Middle English whetten, from Old English hwettan; akin to Old High German wezzen to whet, waz sharp
Date: before 12th century

1 : to sharpen by rubbing on or with something (as a stone) or anvil ( italics are mine ) <whet a knife>

- whet·ter noun

'Wheemed', in the context you gave, sounds more descriptive and less confusing; conveying the feel of iron and stone, worn and pitted by the constant rubbing of metals against its surface; in contrast to "whettered".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

wheemed

Post by russcable » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:25 pm

No one wheems to have mentioned this rather odd word anywhere on the Internet other than a couple of rather obvious typo's (like mine above ^_^). Usually an odd word like this in such a popular work would at least least appear in a vocabulary list or book report on some educational site. Anyone have a copy of this and up for checking whether it's a mis-print in Shelley's edition? Perhaps it's like the episode of "Jonathon Creek" where the man killed himself because a comma-shaped insect walking across the page turned his love letter into a "Dear John" letter,
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

wheemed

Post by Phil White » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:16 pm

The only handle I have is that the DVD of the Gutenberg Project has what appears to be a list of all words in a particular folder, and the list contains "wheem", but not a single document on Gutenberg does so. My guess would be a coinage or a typographical error, and with respect to the first, Che and I appear to have the same gut reaction.

I did actually toy with the idea of "reamed", but rejected it.

In context, it's odd if it is a coinage, as it appears to suggest (to my ears at least) something along the lines of constant rubbing/filing/honing/whetting, but that really doesn't fit in with an anvil at all.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

wheemed

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:23 pm

Gentlemen, I did a digital search of ‘A Death in the Family’ and WHEEMED does appears on page 180 as stated above. I checked the OED and WHEEM is a word which is listed as a variation of ‘queme.’ And looking through the list below, I would guess that the meaning might have been something like ‘made smooth’ (possibly related to ‘made sharp’ as Phil suggests above).

QUEME adjective (obsolete except northern dialect): Forms: cweme, queme, quem, qwem, queeme, quim Scottish), queem (Scottish), wheme, wheeme, wheam, WHEEM, whim, weam, weme.

1a) obsolete: Pleasing, agreeable, acceptable ‘to’ a person. (In early use with dative of person.)

1b) Of pleasing appearance; specious; beautiful, fair; neat, tidy.
<1883 “Weam, weme, . . .tidy . . . ‘A nice little weme packet.’”—in Almondb. & Huddersf. Glossary>
1c) Closed against or protected from the wind, snug; unruffled, SMOOTH.
<1674-91 “Words, Wheam, WHEEM, near, close, so as no wind can enter it.”— ‘Collection of Words of the Northern Counties’ by John Ray>

<1824 “Dream that the ocean's queem”—‘The Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia’ (1876) by Mactaggart, page 391>
2) Fit, fitting, suitable; convenient, handy; near at hand, close. Construction with ‘to’ or dative.
<1674-91 “Wheam, WHEEM, . . . very handsome and convenient for one.”— ‘Collection of Words of the Northern Counties’ by John Ray>

<1812 “How WHEEM to Matty's elbow draws his chair.”—“Death of Roger’ in Gilpin Poetry of Cumberland’ by Wilkinson, page 206>

<1882. “Glossary, WHEEM, handy, convenient.”—‘Lancashire’>
3) Of persons: obsolete

a) Friendly or well-disposed (‘to’), intimate (‘with’).

b) Quiet, still, etc.
<1873 Swaledale Glossary, “WHEEM, smooth, demure, still, slyly quiet, mock-modest.”— ‘Swaledale Glossary’>

<1883 “Weam or Weme, quiet . . . ‘A weme woman in a house is a jewel.’”— in Almondb. & Huddersf. Glossary>
. c) (obsolete, rare). Skilled, clever; smart, active.
<1611 “‘Adroit,’ . . . Handsome, nimble, WHEEME, readie or quicke [etc.].”—‘A Dictionarie of the French and English Tongues’ by Randle Cotgrave>

Ken G – June 29, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

wheemed

Post by Shelley » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks all, and especially Ken. The word felt like "smoothed" or "worked over" to me. Your answer has made my day!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

wheemed

Post by spiritus » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:23 am

Thanks Ken,
Your answer has ruined my day! ( This may just be due to my wheemingly flawed perception of reality. )
But it does make clear why your name may correctly be followed by the word 'expert'. "G"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Re: wheemed

Post by John » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Is there any evidence to suggest that "wheemed" has something to do with the sound AND smoothing/forming effect of whacking or wheeming away at something on an anvil? For some reason this possible combo reminds me of superb descriptions such as "angry gratitude," that Agee used.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: wheemed

Post by Shelley » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:26 pm

John, I think you've hit the anvil on the wheeming . . . uh, place. Since this discussion happened, I've discovered Agee was a gifted screen-writer, prize winner, laureate, and the answer to clues in countless crossword puzzles. He could make up any word he wanted to, as far as I'm concerned!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC