number 5 with a bullet

Discuss word origins and meanings.

number 5 with a bullet

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:44 pm

Evidently means suicide. Origin--thanks
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

number 5 with a bullet

Post by russcable » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:57 pm

I think you're seeing people discussing whether the rather depressing song "Number Five with a Bullet" by Taking Back Sundays is about (or suggests) suicide. The song doesn't specifically mention suicide (or oddly enough the number five or a bullet) and the lyric is about how we're going to die old and miserable so IMHO it's not about suicide though I guess I can see their point.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

number 5 with a bullet

Post by RWalter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:27 pm

I've never heard this song, but there is another possible origin for this phrase. Back in the heyday of top 40 radio, it was common to describe a song by it's position on the Billboard charts. A song that was "number five" was fifth on the charts. New songs usually started at the bottom of the charts and climbed higher as they became more popular. A popular song that was expected to reach the top of the charts was given a "bullet". Consequently a song that was "number 5 with a bullet" was currently fifth on the charts, but expected to be number one in the future.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

number 5 with a bullet

Post by russcable » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:09 pm

Yes, I agree that's the origin of the phrase and the song title - I was addressing Dale's connection to suicide.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC