suicide blonde

Discuss word origins and meanings.

suicide blonde

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:46 am

While talking about various ‘suicides’ (e.g. suicide shift and suicide doors), another ‘suicide’ popped into my noggin and I'm listing this discussion separately for easy retrievability.

The SUICIDE BLONDE (1930s and still in use) is a sort of foxy lady who has dyed or peroxide blonde hair, especially done rather amateurishly – a wee tacky, but oh so sexy – who some men would die for.

Having not heard the expression used all that much, I was quite surprised upon Googling to get ~50,000 hits, but after sifting through a sampling of them I realized that ~49,999 were probably related to SUICIDE BLONDE – the song (1990), the movie (1999), and the book (2000).
<1942 “Bottle baby . . . peroxide, SUICIDE BLONDE, an artificial blonde.”—‘American Thesaurus of Slang’ by Berrey, §430/4>

<1959 ‘You don't have to whitter on about one little SUICIDE BLONDE.’ ‘She's a real blonde,’ Tom said.”—‘The Vodi’ by J. Braine, vii. page 104>

<1973 “The snow-white hair of a SUICIDE-BLONDE flashed around: ‘Hey up, Margaret!’”—‘Men, Women & Children’ by A. Sillitoe, page 174>

<1990 “The opening track, Suicide Blonde [[by the band INXS]], starts off with a bluesy harmonica, then boots into a dance track that also rocks hard.”—‘Time,’ 17 December>

<2000 “SUICIDE BLONDE”—novel by Darcey Steinke>
(Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang, Oxford Dictionary of Slang, Brewer’s Dictionary of Modern Phrase & Fable, Oxford English Dictionary)

Ken G — April 11, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

suicide blonde

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:16 am

Surely by definition a Suicide Blonde has to be dyed by her own hand?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

suicide blonde

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:20 am

Does she then release a self-bleached whale?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

suicide blonde

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:26 pm

She's not likely to be caught red-handed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC