limited edition

Discuss word origins and meanings.

limited edition

Post by John Barton » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:36 pm

What constitutes a limited edition? The authority John Carter, in "ABC for Book Collectors", reckoned not above 100 copies. So a 'limited edition of 1000' is actually unlimited (the maximum they can sell). But what was never envisaged fifty years ago, was limited editions of objects of all kinds. Not just ones which go through a printing press after editiing by editors. How do they proof-red and send rattling through the rollers such things as porcelain plates, wine bottles, cars? The term used to be reserved for books, engravings, stamps,illustrations... Might I suggest a 'firing' of porcelain, 'mintage' of coins, 'run' of cars, 'bottling' of wines?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: John Barton, New Plymouth, New Zealand
http://www.freewebs.com/caliban5/

limited edition

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:13 pm

.. John to me this is another phrase that has been bastardised by the media, particularly the sales media, to try to make anything look "special" .. it has little meaning left in real terms and is just another phrase added to an object to make it sound exclusive in some way so that mugs will buy it .. like when they also talk about "numbered edition" .. right infinity sounds good ..

WoZ of Aus 24/02/05
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

limited edition

Post by russcable » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:16 pm

A limited edition means that they will never make MORE of them. TV commercials for limited edition ceramics will often mention breaking the molds which would certainly be more effective than any method for "limiting" the production of a modern book edition (we're going to cremate all cows everywhere so that this book can never be offered in leather binding again!)
I think you should ask your John Carter if he's ever been to Barsoom. Maybe he can introduce you to Dejah Thoris...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

limited edition

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:13 pm

Russ, the cow-burning method has already been applied in Britain -- with some success, I may add!

The traditional method for limiting the number of prints made from a plate is to score across it with a sharp instrument, such as a mass-produced steel nail.

I've never heard of a limited-edition wine bottle, John. Is this a cultural phenomenon I somehow missed?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

limited edition

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:31 am

Surely every vintage wine must by definition be a limited edition as there is certainly only going to be one 2004, 2005 etc.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

limited edition

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:49 am

Yes, but John was referring to the bottles 'rattling through the rollers', not to the wine contained in them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

limited edition

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:02 pm

John, The expression LIMITED EDITION first appeared in print in 1903, meaning an edition of a book or other publication limited to a specified number of copies and usually printed in a special format. This is still its ‘official’ dictionary definition, although today, as mentioned above, we may not be surprised to find it applied to such sundry items as Cracker Jacks boxes and fly swatters! (<:)
<1903 “This library has the trail of the ‘LIMITED EDITION’’ serpent over it all.”—‘Connoisseur,’ VI. page 252/2>

<1920 “A LIMITED EDITION hastily gathered up would be the only possible method of presentation.”—in ‘Letters’ (1965) by H. Crane, 28 January, page 32>
(Oxford English Dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary, Random House and Merriam-Webster's Unabridged Dictionaries)

Ken G – March 4, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC