bar wallet

Discuss word origins and meanings.

bar wallet

Post by dalehileman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:39 pm

"The proliferation of one dollar bills that is the usual
result of a night out on the town" This def is from three or four slang dictionaries in which I place no credence whatever since they copy from one another unmercifully

It may be so named because many such wallets bear a gold bar as a logo, presumably having something to do with sports. Some hits mention the "BAR team wallet," but what does that mean exactly, and how long has the expression been around? What else makes a bar wallet different from other kinds? Herewith an "authoritative" summary:

"I don't have the answers you are looking for. Hurley (the brand) has just named one of their wallets "Bar". It is NOT a type of wallet but merely a name. You will have to direct your questions elsewhere because I cannot help you. Thank you and Good Luck.

Ashley
service@activemailorder.com
activemailorder@uia.net
http://www.activemailorder.com
1.800.588.3911 option #4"

So I appeal to you fellas; I respect authority, like Cartman. Many thanks
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

bar wallet

Post by Phil White » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:14 pm

No authority, Dale, but if you look at the websites and discound the BAR Racing (Formula 1 team) promotional wallets and the darts etuis, you're left with a few that all seem to me to have something in common, namely that unlike the simple billfold that I use, they have an extra flap that enables them to be closed. As to why that type of wallet should be called a "bar wallet", your guess is as good as mine, but it appears to be used in the industry.

Whether or not the term is also a slang term, I can't judge. I've certainly never heard it, although the concept suggested appeals to me. That means I have a "baker's wallet". Being a creature of habit, I buy two rolls at lunchtime, and these cost 56 (euro)cents. After a few weeks, I have an unholy proliferation of 2-cent coins in my wallet, because I can rarely be bothered messing about with the change.

Are there any other ways you are like Cartman?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

bar wallet

Post by russcable » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:35 pm

My interpretation of the slang dictionaries reference to one dollar bills that this refers to money that you have put aside (or have left over from breaking 20's into all 1's) for tipping strippers at strip bars. You can also recognize someone's "bar wallet" by the way their bills are/have been folded in half lengthwise (to more easily slip into a g-string).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

bar wallet

Post by dalehileman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:46 pm

Thanks guys
Yes, phil; we both possess a cat as well as a blue hat
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

bar wallet

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:34 pm

Liquid assets?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC