And, as they say, Annie's home

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by McVane » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:54 pm

Hello,

I did a search on archives for the story behind this phrase, "And, as they say, Annie's home", and found no answer. I'm hoping someone could explain the origins of that phrase.

FWIW, I heard this phrase a lot when I lived in Newcastle [of England] during early 1990s. The meaning is very similiar to 'Bob's your uncle', but not quite.

Example:
"Go down Blackstone Lane, turn second left, then first right, and, as they say, Annie's home"

Another example:
"Jenny fretted about her weight loss. She saw her doctor's yesterday and it was only stress. And, well, as they say, Annie's home."

Who's Annie? What's the story behind the phrase? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:16 am

This is not an expression that I have ever heard in Wales, but I will ask around my English friends out of pure curiosity.

I do know ‘Bob’s your uncle’ of course. When your name is Bob, you tend to notice these things when explaining to small children that you are not THE Bob, and that you are not their uncle either. I am certainly not going down the path of “bits and bobs”!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:24 pm

I broached the subject of Annie with my Moiety (I may as well use the word now that I have found it), who was brought up in the West Riding of Yorkshire, afterwards living in the East Riding as well as in various places of England further south before settling in Wales.

I am afraid that she has never heard of Annie or her home either. As I am sure that you did not dream it, I await further information with interest.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:29 pm

Like you, Bob, I had never heard this expression until now.

So far the only instances of this phrase that Google knows about relate to this posting, which is not a hopeful sign.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:27 pm

This expression has buried itself under my skin. I circulated a fairly large group of English people who now live in Wales about the phrase, and although they come from all over England, none has heard of Annie or her home.

It would be quite interesting to hear some more background, and in the meantime I will spread the search further north.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:07 pm

.. checked me Yorkshire contact and she checked her contacts and none of them had heard the expression ..

WoZ of Aus 24/02/05
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by russcable » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:21 pm

I've scoured the Internet and can find nothing on the Internet closer than "up in Annie's room behind the clock." In addition to searching for just the bits and pieces, I've also tried it with Anne, Anny, Ane, Andy, Auntie, Aunty, ...
I'm guessing the saying must have been very limited in geographic scope and short-lived as well.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:27 am

I have now checked with a contact in Newcastle, and I found a Cornishman with a Mancunian wife in the pub last night. Regrettably no-one has heard of the expression. I think you have beaten me, I formally give up.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:53 am

If this guess is wrong, I apologise in advance to McVane, but it's all starting to smell like a hoax assignment.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:07 am

It could well have been a hoax, but it has been fun, and I have talked to people with whom I have had little contact for years, so it has even done some good.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:10 am

'Nuff said! :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC