Aplomado/Aplamado

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Aplomado/Aplamado

Post by p. g. cox » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:08 pm

Could anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of the word Aplomado or Aplamado. I have seen it spelt both ways and am not sure which is the correct spelling or if they are two different words; or it may be a proper noun. I came across it in the name of a bird, The Aplomado Falcon and in some street names. I have tried several sources,(Bird forums, Spanish dictionaries, Encyclopedias) but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Pete.

Aplomado/Aplamado

Post by russcable » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:10 pm

I find "aplomado" meaning "poised" or "plumbed" in the sense of "a plumbed line", i.e. something along the lines of vertical or straight or possibly erect. It's possible it could also relate to the concept of having or measuring depth. A "plomada" is a plumb line or plumb bob which is a device used to measure verticality or depth. I can't find any meaning of "aplamado".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Aplomado/Aplamado

Post by p. g. cox » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I've only just joined this forum and appreciate the help.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Aplomado/Aplamado

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:29 am

Peter and Russ, I was unable to find the word ‘aplomado’ in any English dictionaries that I checked. Google translates it as ‘plumbed,’ by which I assume they mean make vertical. However, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department claims that ‘aplomado,’ which is the correct spelling, means ‘steel-gray in Spanish and the Aplomado Falcon is so named in reference to the adults plumage. (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/wild ... falcon.pdf)

It is my guess that the color definition of the Spanish word ‘aplomado’ refers to the gray color of lead. English ‘aplomb’ means straight up and down, vertical, upright, and thus poised and imperturbable. It comes from the French ‘aplomb,’ which comes from the earlier ‘à plomb’ (‘plomb’ was lead in Old French), meaning according to the ‘plummet’ – the lead plumb bob, a piece of lead attached to a line, which has been used since ancient times to determine vertical. ‘Plumbum’ is lead in Latin and several English words are related to it. A ‘plumber’ was originally a worker in lead, and to ‘plumb’ means to measure the depth of the water, from the lead sounding weight that was used by sailors. ‘Plumb’ also means to be make vertical as in to plumb a wall, for example. And the symbol for lead, the 82nd element in the periodic table, is Pb.

Ken G – January 28, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Aplomado/Aplamado

Post by p. g. cox » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:55 am

Ken, Many thanks to you for the enlightenment. I think that the Texas web site, yourself and Russ have firmly put the subject to bed. I didn't think of Googling on the word. I shall remember next time.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC