Croaton

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Croaton

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:08 am

Could someone please explain to me "cro aton" as it was used in Stephen King's teleplay "Storm of the Century"? Aton means atone but what is the cro?
Submitted by deborah Cordes (Madison. Ohio - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Croaton

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:22 am

In Egyptian Mythology Aton (or Aten) was the sun god,
King didn't mean atone in any sense of the word; Cro-
means NEW. Cro Aton means 'new sun god'.
Reply from Jim Frederick (Mississauga - Canada)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Re: Croaton

Post by spinablackfish » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:13 pm

The Sun-god in Egyptian mythos is not what S. King was referring to. CRO ATON were the words that were left carved on a tree at Roanoke Island. That was a 17th century English colony that disappeared without a trace off of the coast of Virginia/N.Carolina. Do you remember that little guy in the hat with the cane who said, "Give me what I want and I will go away"? He actually made a reference to Roanoke Island in the movie (as if he was responsible for the disappearance). No one knows what these words meant. Some historians believe it was an English/Dutch derivation of an Indian word (tribe). Amazingly enough, nearly four hundred years later no one really knows what happened to the settlers of Roanoke Island. Maybe they wouldn't give that dude one of their kids...tee-hee.......T.J.
Post actions:

Post by Tony Farg » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Just reading "Nation" by Terry Pratchett.
Pehaps it was a wave that destroyed the colony.
Post actions:

Post by TDOTBDOT » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm

here is your answer.. yes i was sad enough to look it up but you gotta admit that film really gets you wondering what actually happened...

"In 1587, the English again attempted to settle in Roanoke. John White, father of one of the colonists Eleanor Dare, and grandfather to the first English child born in the New World, Virginia Dare, left the colony to return to England for supplies that he felt would help the colonists to survive, expecting to return to Roanoke Island within three months. Instead, he found England at war with Spain, and all ships were confiscated for use of the war efforts. His return to Roanoke Island was delayed until 1590. When he finally returned, the colonists had disappeared. The only thing he found were the letters "CRO" carved into a nearby tree and the word "CROATOAN" carved into a fencepost. Before leaving the colony for England three years earlier, White left instructions with the colonists that if they were forced to abandon their settlement on Roanoke, that they were to carve out the name of the place where they were going and a Maltese cross under the carving if they left due to danger.

"CROATOAN" was the name of an island to the south (modern-day Hatteras Island), where a friendly native tribe was known to live, and it was thus reasonable to assume that the colonists had left the Roanoke settlement bound for that island. However, foul weather would keep White from venturing south to search on Croatoan for the colonists, and they returned to England. White would never return to the New World. The fate of the colony has never been authoritatively ascertained, and consequently it became known as "The Lost Colony".
Post actions:

Post by no1texastiger » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:07 am

In the movie "Storm of the Century" they are referring to "the truth must be atoned for", basically saying wither they all die for their sins, or they sacrifice the one in atonement for him to raise in his place as keeper of truths. This is referred to many times in the bible, one in particular where Adam must bring offerings, one for himself and one for the world. In the movie, he is offering the choice of atone for their own sins/truths or sacrifice the one innocent in atonement for all. Though yes they love the cross referwnce ro the "mystery" of Roanoke Island, it has yet to be proven that the carving then meant anything other than an attempt to let the others know where they went. A little extra research andI could probably write a book about the it, lol.
Post actions:

Post by stalveyws » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:41 am

All are accurate mostly. I believe Aten (Egyptian sun God) and Cro ( New) are correlated to the film because he takes a child to raise as his own. Also in the end narration of the constable he doesn't think the same in the daytime as he does at nite. Then you relook as Aton is to atone and the island of Little Tall all had their dirty little Secrets that the mysterious devilish visitor wanted air out for them. Thirdly the two theories were combined in creating a modern day story telling of what happened in RoAnoke. If you watch the film there are references to a place called Dairy. The incidents of what happened 400+ years ago happened in Dare county. I believe Stephen King brilliantly meshed all of this together to create this fantastic story.
Post actions:

Post by lazydaisy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 am

I just watched Storm of the Century, an old favorite. I read up on the history of Hattaras Island, off the coast of North Carolina, formerly called Croatoan. I believe that Stephen King let Andre Linoge have his own dirty little secret. When Roanoke was searched after having been isolated for many years, the search party found the word carved, either Croaton or Croatoan, it is dissented. The leader of the party had requested that the colonists leave a carving behind referring to their new destination if ever they had to leave. The search party never did make it to Croatoan Island to check whether or not the colonists had made it, but the leader wrote that he felt some comfort at this clue, which likely meant they were simply relocated.
Andre Linoge, being magical and ancient, would know that the Roanoke colonists didn't simply disappear off the face of the earth, that they had relocated. He would know of the current fascination with Roanoke Island myths, and choose to prey upon the islanders' minds, letting them imagine he'd already wiped out an entire colony and could do it again. Meanwhile he leaves clues that the islanders, were they smart enough, could figure out and understand that he did not have the capacity to kill off and make disappear an entire island's population. They gave a child away unnecessarily. It is the ultimate and final slap in the face, tucked into the story by Stephen King, I believe, in order to be caught by viewers who would research the word.
Post actions:

End of topic.