word versus vocabulary

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:54 am

What is the difference between the word and the vocabulary? Anybody has a good analogy?
Submitted by peter bhan (daegu - Korea)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:07 am

The word "word" originates in Old English and originally meant to speak or to talk. It seems to have emerged to today's usage in the 17thC (seemingly being coined to mean one unit of the language, in Milton's "Eikonoklastes".

"Vocabulary" similarly comes from the medieval period, from the latin "vocabularium" a list of words...ie one unit of a language.
"Vocabulary" is a list of words (or the collecting together of all the words)in a language.

(There is a distinction between word and vocabulary, however, and the way that the words are used in a language, hence the elements of learning a new language in the areas of vocabulary (and spelling), grammar and also punctuation.)

Analogy?

WORD IS TO VOCABULARY AS...

Brick is to house.
Leaf is to tree.
Tree is to forest
Snake is to reptile.
Rabbit is to mammal.
Snakes and rabbits are to animals
Hat is to clothes.

The bricks are a part of the house in the same way as the vocabulary is a part of the language: a house is more than bricks, it is tiles and wood also, So a language is more than just words. The bricks, tiles and wood make the house as the words, grammar and punctuation make the language.
Rob
Reply from Robert Masters (Asia - Thailand)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:21 am

Peter, what is a good (phonetic)korean word for 'tool-box'?
Lneil

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:34 am

Lneil, the tool-box for Korean is yeonjang-harm (not exact but very close). Let me know it works.
Reply from peter bhan (daegu - Korea)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:47 am

Thank you, Rob. A lot of help for me. Good luck!
Reply from peter bhan (daegu - Korea)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:01 am

from Latin VOCABULUM

1 : a list or collection of words or of words and phrases usually alphabetically arranged and explained or defined : LEXICON

2 a : a sum or stock of words employed by a language, group, individual, or work or in a field of knowledge b : a list or collection of terms or codes available for use (as in an indexing system)

3 : a supply of expressive techniques or devices (as of an art form)

So, Peter, WORD: is to :VOCABULARY (LATIN)
AS TOOL: is to :YEONJANG-HARM(KOREAN)
AND AT A LOWER LEVEL-----
Hammer is to Carpentry
and
Starboard is to Sailing
and
Shade-ing is to Painting
2k4dec14tue01:05,lneil
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:14 am

I don't think any of your analogies are correct as a vocabulary is made up entirely of words and nothing else so unless you have a house with brick doors, brick windows and brick shingles, word:vocabulary :: brick:house is just not true. The others are even less appropriate (or the connection is not obvious to me ;-) ).
Reply from Russ Cable (Dallas, TX - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:27 am

sowhat if i was want to sah tew yew that the lady was a boyfriend and prety too would that this bee the same as if yough where too say to meigh that the lady had a boyfriend and oretty too or not if we wre beliave you as have right for fucks saki
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:41 am

Ahem. This is only vocabulary and nothing else. No spelling, no grammar, no punctuation. And so Russ, I agree with you.

However, as you might glean (or perhaps may not) from my statement where I said...QUOTE "The bricks are a part of the house in the same way as the vocabulary is a part of the language: a house is more than bricks, it is tiles and wood also, So a language is more than just words. The bricks, tiles and wood make the house as the words, grammar and punctuation make the language" the actual words themselves (to spell it out to you, or maybe "spell might be distracting) are only the blocks on which the language is built.) It seems that I have to discect my analogy to help you. Shame. It kills all the nuances.

As you say, the connections are not obvious to some. Er...you. Sorry.
If you want, i will explain each leaf in its relation to the tree, and each tree in relation to the forest, and do my best to draw a simple picture which you can PING on.
QUOTE: "Draw a simple picture and the simple will picture it".
Snotty Rob

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:54 am

Yo russ bro. Dis de troot on mama head. We got de word. We got the speak, same like the lingo. ALL deword make de vocab. What de vocab is, is like the every word together, like the Robman say already. All de word make the vocab.
Under de word we got the hot blood of the lanuage-speak. Word no good unless we can make all people claat so they know what we speakin.
Dot an point and comma make the knowing of the vocab, and de grammarman come to take the vocab an make this righteous for all. The Robman say de word is marry with the vocab and he say that the vocab is small part of the big speak...dig?
Peace mon
Reply from Eroll Clanche (NY - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:07 am

Pillock is to lunatic-ward
water is to river
grass is to lawn (or in my case - mow)
whore is to brothel
grape is to vinyard
rusty cable is to rotten bridge (Sorry Russ Cable, entirely unintentional)

Reply from Leighton Harris (Cambridge - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:21 am

Rob you have lost the point on this one as to continue, or defend/justify, your own attempted analogy you need to introduce a new word, viz "language" >>>> "The bricks, tiles and wood make the house as the words, grammar and punctuation make the language" the actual words themselves (to spell it out to you, or maybe "spell might be distracting) are only the blocks on which the language is built.)" .. so it would seem that your analogy, if acceptable, should read - Words are to Language .. and Rob why do you feel so insecure that you have to flame someone just because they make an alternative point to yours or disagree with what you have put forward as THE way ?? .. shame ..
WoZ of Aus 15/12/04
Reply from Wizard of Oz (Newcastle - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

word versus vocabulary

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:34 am

Hi Wiz. I was just about to get indignant, so went back to what I had written, and some bugger's changed my text! I think it might be the virooligan that got onto the site last week :-)
Bad Robert! You are completely correct, Wiz. I had intended to write "word is to language" and I thought I HAD, and even, when I checked what I had written before sending, I still "read" through the word 'vocabulary" and "saw" it as the word I had intended it to be...So it came as a surprise to realise my mistake. Apologies. And also to Russ. Now what you wrote above makes complete sense...sorry for the undeserved sarcasm.
Egg on face Robert
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC