convey/conveyancing

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

convey/conveyancing

Post by Archived Topic » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:53 am

If conveyancing is the act of transferring the title to a property from one party to another, what is the appropriate verb for the action?
As in the sentence:
"...it should be possible to {convey/trasfer/transfer the title to} the property without incurring local business tax."
Help appreciated.
Phil W. 14 November, 2004
Submitted by Phil White (Munich - Germany)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

convey/conveyancing

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:08 am

Phil, This is a new one on me, but according to the OED it looks like 'convey' will do the trick.

CONVEYANCING [from 'conveyance' noun: cf. gardening, banking, etc. and see '-ing']: The drawing of deeds and other instruments, for the transference of property from one person to another; the branch of the law which deals with titles and their transference; the art or profession of the conveyancer.

CONVEYANCE noun: Law. The transference of property (especially real property) from one person to another by any lawful act (in modern use only by deed or writing between living persons).

CONVEY verb: 10) To transfer or make over (as property) to another; now only in Law, to transfer or make over by deed or legal process. absol. To make conveyance. [[first appeared in print in 1495]]

<1818 ?If a tenant in tail agrees to CONVEY, he is bound by that agreement.???A Digest of Laws of England? (edition 2) by Cruise, I. page 103>

<1863 "The cost of CONVEYING a small estate is . . . in proportion to its value, much greater than the cost of CONVEYING a large one." 'Manual of Political Economy' by Fawcett, II. vi. page 209>

1881 "By this charter, De Morville CONVEYS to the blessed Mary and St. Leonard . . . that land where the Hospital is situated." 'The Haigs of Bemersyde, a Family History' by J. Russell, ii. page 30>

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

convey/conveyancing

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:22 am

Ken,
That's the conclusion I came to, but it was new to me as well and somehow doesn't ring quite true (probably because I don't know it...).
Thanks.
Reply from Phil White (Munich - Germany)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

End of topic.