The use of Cycle to mean Recycle.

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Archived Topic » Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:17 am

Can you use Cycle to mean Recycle? The MW defines Cycle “as course or series of events or operations that recur regularly and usually lead back to the starting point b : one complete performance of a vibration, electric oscillation, current alternation, or other periodic process c : a permutation of a set of ordered elements in which each element takes the place of the next and the last becomes first”
On the other hand MW defines Recycle as 1: to pass again through a series of changes or treatments: as a : to process (as liquid body waste, glass, or cans) in order to regain material for human use b : 2 : to adapt to a new use 3 : to bring back 4 : to make ready for reuse <a plan to recycle vacant tenements.”

Both definitions to me are saying that the changes in the process will bring it back to its original state.

Ahmed
27of October,2004

Submitted by Ahmed ELNamer (Dawson Creek - Canada)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:32 am

Ahmed, the key part of MW's definition of the noun 'cycle' is its reference to "a course or series of _events or operations_". Note that this definition does not extend to material objects.

So the answer to your question is that the terms are not interchangeable.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:46 am

Ahmed and Eirk, This is fairly tricky, but I believe I have things straight – I think! (<:) The transitive verb ‘cycle’ means to go through one complete repetition. <I cycled the laundry twice through the washing machine.> <I was cycled through 10 weeks of basic training.>

The intransitive verb ‘cycle’ also means to pass through one cycle, but may also mean to recur in cycles. <The machine automatically cycles.> <Life cycles on from generation to generation>

The transitive verb ‘recycle,' means to pass through a cycle again or to start a second or different cycle. <This industrial plant recycles the cooling water as many as 50 times.> <We recycle paper to save trees.> <The old factory is being recycled as a theater.> <The governor recycled some speeches from his early days.> <We decided to recycle the laundry through the washing machine.>

The intransitive verb ‘recycle’ means to undergo recycling – to cycle again. <We waited for the machine to recycle> <More students recycle into the educational system than go elsewhere.>

So, I am not in complete agreement with Erik. It would seem to me that the intransitive form of the verbs ‘cycle’ and ‘recycle’ may in some instances be interchangeable. For example, “The machine automatically recycles” and the ‘machine automatically cycles’ would mean the same thing if the intransitive ‘cycle’ were taken to mean ‘recur in cycles.’ However, if the intransitive ‘cycle’ were taken to mean ‘passing though one cycle’ (i.e. fill, wash, rinse, spin), then ‘cycle’ and ‘recycle’ would not mean the same thing. Other than this particular case, I believe all other usages are not interchangeable.

(Oxford English Dictionary, Random House and Merriam-Webster’s Unabridged Dictionaries, American Heritage Dictionary)

Ken – October 28, 2994

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:01 am

Ahmed by sheer coincidence two minutes ago I shipped off an email "...Dewey was ‘cast by the polls but Truman won..."Thus it could be perfectly ok--even to Ken, bless him--to write it as "'cycle"
At least ok with me
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:15 am

Huh?
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:29 am

Erik: Wasn't it Dewey?
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:44 am

My puzzlement relates not to your reference to Dewey but to the fact that it has no apparent bearing, either direct or indirect, on the subject of this posting.
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:58 am

Oh but it does, Erik, " 'cast " being short for "forecast" just as " 'cycle " is short for "recycle"

That's pretty direct

Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:13 am

I believe that you believe that, Dale!
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:27 am

Erik: Why of course else I wouldn't say it
Ken: What is Erik trying to communicate
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:41 am

Dale, I think it might have something to do with failing to follow the standard norms of logical discourse! (<;)

Ken – October 28, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:56 am

dale, if you believe that cycle is the same as recycle it's fine with me, but, you get no discovery credit from me.

Apply your belief to; "120Vac, 60 cycle (hertz) of electricity that you have in your home."

Or, like a cast of a mold, and making a loaf of bread.
Reply from Dave Schroder (Dayton, Ohio - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

End of topic.