Me/Myself/I

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Me/Myself/I

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:22 pm

Is the sentence,

"The students and myself enjoyed (...)",

grammatically correct?
Submitted by Jason Minamora (Los Angeles - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Me/Myself/I

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:37 pm

No.
Reply from K. Allen Griffy (Springfield, IL - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Me/Myself/I

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:51 pm

For the longer answer, your sentence should read, "The students and I enjoyed . . . ." Or, alternatively, ". . . was enjoyed by the students and me."

According to my dictionary, "myself" is used as an intensive ("I went myself"), as a reflexive ("I hurt myself"), or as a quasi-noun meaning "my real, true, or actual self" ("I am not myself today"). Your sentence does not follow one of those patterns, so the use of "myself" in your sentence is incorrect.

(You could have said something like this: "The students enjoyed . . . . I, myself, however, didn't think it was that good.")
Post actions:

Me/Myself/I

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:05 pm

It will be grammatically correct in a few years.

Reply from Nimo Piquter (Vancouver - Canada)
Post actions:

Me/Myself/I

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:20 pm

It might not even take that long, Nimo! People have been using "myself" incorrectly for a long time, and most don't seem to know that their usage is incorrect. There was a letter to the editor in our local paper this morning that began, "My wife, my in-laws, and myself went downtown . . . ." That kind of usage just grates on my nerves; I nearly ripped the paper to shreds in a fit of rage! *G* Apparently, this man's "real, true, or actual self" went downtown with his wife and in-laws. I don't know where HE was at the time, though! *G*
Post actions:

Me/Myself/I

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:34 pm

Many English grammars are allowing - even recommending - related constructions that fifty years ago would have caused the shredding of countless publications. "It is me" is usually recommended rather than "It is I", especially in spoken English. And the usual answer to "Who's there?" by a spokesperson for a group known to the enquirer seems always to have contravened the laws of English. "It is we" or "It are we" sound far sillier than the almost universal "It's us". Perhaps we should say, "It's ourselves," which sounds Irish.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
Post actions:

End of topic.