Farewell letter

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Farewell letter

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:56 am

This is a letter to an elected official I worked for until she could hire staff:

I want you to know how much I enjoyed working for you and getting to know you over the last couple of months.

It is so refreshing to have a commissioner with your enthusiasm and dedication to your constituents and the county. Your willingness to listen and be objective is _______ incredible and I so enjoy your sense of humor (you’ve got to have a sense of humor in that position or you’d go crazy.) You are such an asset to the county and we are fortunate to have you on this Court.

Enough of the gushing, like ___ and I have said so many times, “You’re one cool chick!”

If there is ever anything you need or anything I can help you with, please call me. I’ll be happy to assist you anyway I can. My direct line at _____ and the main number is _____________.

Thanks again.
Submitted by Nickey Lawrence (Leander - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Farewell letter

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:10 am

If I may say so, Nickey, this almost reads more like a declaration of love than a professional memo. If your feelings do indeed run more in the former direction than the latter, the assertive thing to do would be to make your feelings known in a private letter or phone call, skipping the compliments about your addressee's dedication to her work etc. “You’re one cool chick!” might possibly be appropriate in such a case.

Otherwise, if the intention is to pen a professional goodbye, I would suggest that you drastically tone down the
hero-worshipping aspect of your note. The current version seems liable to at least embarrass its recipient, and it will almost certainly also raise questions in her mind about your true motives for including such sentiments in the guise of a work-related memo.

In sum, it seems probable to me that you're allowing your opinions about her professional abilities to blur into your personal feelings for her. Better to separate the two.

Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Farewell letter

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:25 am

Er..what exactly is your gender, Nickey?
Reply from Saeed Khan (Bhopal - India)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

End of topic.